Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Can a timing belt be on backwards?

Old May 23rd, 2018, 9:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can a timing belt be on backwards?

Hello, while getting an oil change at a new mechanic shop I was told my timing belt was put on "backwards" by the mechanics. They charged me $40 to put it on the right way but after reading up on it I'm not sure if they just ripped me off. Also I was only there for an hour and a half at most, is that even enough time to redo the timing belt? I had replaced my water pump over 6 months ago and had no problems with the car driving or overheating. Is it possible to have a timing belt/chain on backwards yet drive fine? Thanks for any help

also because I had an aftermarket stereo they couldn't reset the change engine oil light which is wierd because if they changed the oil shouldn't the light go off?

Last edited by 02impalaguy; May 24th, 2018 at 1:46 AM.
Old May 24th, 2018, 7:14 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Well, I'd say you got took. You have to reset the change oil light. Silverado is ignition switch on, not running, hit the accelrator pedal 5 times within 3 seconds.
Old May 24th, 2018, 8:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 506 Likes on 466 Posts

Your referring to a 2002 impala.... has a timing chain not a belt. Unless they pull the front timing cover...something they don't do for an oil change; they would not be able to see the timing chain.

the oil life monitor light will only go off when the monitor life remaining gets near zero. the system must be manually reset. its just an algorithm and has no idea the oil has actually been changed or it true condition.

Last edited by tech2; May 24th, 2018 at 9:35 PM. Reason: add "not"
Old May 24th, 2018, 11:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

maybe they meant serpentine belt - time to find an honest mechanic IMHO; good one to report to BBB

Search this Thread