Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 Chevrolet Suburban Driveline Issues

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2018, 10:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2001 Chevrolet Suburban Driveline Issues

Hello, so I bought a high mileage 2001 Suburban with the 5.3 Vortec and 2wd drive train, after getting the thing running and in “drivable condition” I started to notice a whine noise coming from, what may be the rear differential, although, I replaced the gear oil, when I drained the old oil, it appeared clean, no metal shavings or chunks mixed in. I inspected the driveshaft and noticed that there was roughly 2 centimeters of play between the transmission, driveshaft, and the rear axle. Also, as I noticed the play, I also can hear a loud metallic clank coming from the front of the driveshaft (rear of the transmission) and can note a slight amount of vertical play where the shaft runs into the transmission bellhousing. I also experience the same “clunk” when placing the vehicle into gear. I also have a strong vibration between 65 and 75. I have done some googling but it really has led me nowhere, other than “worn u-joints”. Any advice is helpful. Thanks in advance!

(I apologize if this is written sloppy, as I was in a hurry to write it at the time.)
Old June 18th, 2018, 9:43 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same set up and I had the same problem. I had the ujoints replaced and the problem was gone. The problem that I have is getting the things greased; my grease gun can't fit between the yokes, so make sure you grease them good before you install them.
Old June 18th, 2018, 1:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by subfan597
I have the same set up and I had the same problem. I had the ujoints replaced and the problem was gone. The problem that I have is getting the things greased; my grease gun can't fit between the yokes, so make sure you grease them good before you install them.
Is it also possible that could also be the culprit behind my 45-55 mph acceleration whine? I’m going to go ahead and replace the front U joint and grease the rear.
Old June 18th, 2018, 2:07 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by subfan597
You can purchase a grease gun needle extension that allows you to get in between the yokes with it.