Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Converting manual to power windows

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2018, 8:23 PM
Esk
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting manual to power windows

My truck's got a dent the size of texas in the driver door and it's got manual windows. I found a door the same color as mine but its got power windows and I plan on swapping out the doors. How would I go about hooking up the power window in my truck? Is it as simple as plug in and your done or what? Thanks! (I would just be doing the driver window and leaving the passenger as manual.)
Old July 20th, 2018, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

you best bet is to look at the fuse panels and see if the circuit breaker location that power the windows have pins in it. If not, your best bet imo is to find a manual to power conversion kit on amazon.

Either way can be done...the amazon kit would be less work.
Old July 20th, 2018, 7:56 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

I would change the hinge pin bushings while I have the doors off. They are not expensive and could save you work later on.
Old July 21st, 2018, 3:41 PM
Esk
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
you best bet is to look at the fuse panels and see if the circuit breaker location that power the windows have pins in it. If not, your best bet imo is to find a manual to power conversion kit on amazon.

Either way can be done...the amazon kit would be less work.
I took at look at the fuse box and nope, no pins. (My luck) Couldn't I just take the guts out of my manual door and swap them into the power door making it manual?
Old July 22nd, 2018, 2:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

like I said, either way can be done.
Old July 22nd, 2018, 5:22 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Esk
I took at look at the fuse box and nope, no pins. (My luck) Couldn't I just take the guts out of my manual door and swap them into the power door making it manual?
Yes, they fit the same. Just no motor. You may need to swap out the interior panel also where there is a hole for the crank.
Old July 22nd, 2018, 7:26 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

It's not that difficult. The manual door has no power running to it. Just take a fused 12 volt line to the new door and connect it to the switch which should already be there on the new door.