Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

cooling issue leading to cracked radiator

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2018, 12:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling issue leading to cracked radiator

I changed the water pump and thermostat in the past year. Temp would stay fine for a while and then it would start to overheat. In changing those things I totally spaced out the fact that I needed to bleed the system. I realized that I prob had some kind of leak but couldn't find it and the head gasket was fine, no water in the oil pan. In trying to bleed the system, I found that there wasn't enough pressure to even get it to bleed. Recently my radiator cracked and I don't wan't to fix it without being sure of what I'm doing. I'm thinking that it never built enough pressure because there was a leak in the radiator that just got worse until the pressure build finally cracked it. Any reason why I should feel differently? Is there any unforeseen problem from not bleeding the system? Thank you in advance
-Matt
Old August 13th, 2018, 12:47 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MattGibson
I changed the water pump and thermostat in the past year. Temp would stay fine for a while and then it would start to overheat. In changing those things I totally spaced out the fact that I needed to bleed the system. I realized that I prob had some kind of leak but couldn't find it and the head gasket was fine, no water in the oil pan. In trying to bleed the system, I found that there wasn't enough pressure to even get it to bleed. Recently my radiator cracked and I don't wan't to fix it without being sure of what I'm doing. I'm thinking that it never built enough pressure because there was a leak in the radiator that just got worse until the pressure build finally cracked it. Any reason why I should feel differently? Is there any unforeseen problem from not bleeding the system? Thank you in advance
-Matt
Its an old car. Its bound to have something go wrong. Had a radiator tank blow up on my old Chevy C-1500, and I take good care of my vehicles. Stuff happens.

No water in the oil doesn't correlate to not having a bad head gasket, BTW. That said, it's always a good idea to check your coolant for days or even weeks after a major repair. Of course, I am not working as an ASE ceritified master automotive technician and I only work on my own vehicles and those of my friends and family, so I have lots of time to do things properly.

Frankly, what I do when changing coolant or a cooling system repair, like a new water pump, is to turn the heater up high, and run it hot with the cap off, until it overflows. Let if cool, and do it again.

Then with the cap at the half way mark, meaning no pressure, I hit the road with a bottle of coolant on hand and get that ***** hot and up to speed at high RPM. Stop, rinse and repeat. Let it cool to ambient temp and keep on filling it to the brim, if needed.

"Its the only way to be sure".

Last edited by oilcanhenry; August 13th, 2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old August 13th, 2018, 2:52 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Radiators about 100 bucks, I'd recommend replacing it. I drive a 96 lumina, replaced the radiator due to leaks 2 years ago.There was an option of 5/8, 3/4 width, I have a/c, and the original was 5/8 so that's what I went back with.
Old August 14th, 2018, 11:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds solid to this car dummy! lol thank you