New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

2006 trail blazer straight 6 4.2 Power steering leak at rack and pinion

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2018, 11:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 trail blazer straight 6 4.2 Power steering leak at rack and pinion

I have a power steering leak where the hoses go into the rack and Pinion. I replace the O-rings and put the hoses back in and it was still leaking. How can I tell if the hoses are bad Or if it’s the rack itself?
Old August 15th, 2018, 1:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

You can't. I would try replacing the hoses...o-ring replacement never works. The rack is expensive, so try the hoses first. get oem hoses from the dealer. hoses are probably $100 range but the rack is $600 plus alignment.
Old August 15th, 2018, 2:12 PM
CF Beginner

I got the poses but they don’t come with the metal lines that go into gear. I had to order them from the dealer and they’re 170 bucks apiece. They should be here tomorrow at 10 AM. I hope it works. Thank you for the info
Old August 15th, 2018, 7:22 PM
CF Beginner

I think the metal lines I am talking about come from the gear into the rack and Pinion and are used for left and right steering. They are not the same houses that feed the power steering fluid from the pump. Does anybody know anything about that
Old August 15th, 2018, 9:27 PM
Super Moderator

the rack should have one hose from the pump to the gear, another from the gear to the cooler lines and a 3rd all metal line with both connections on the rack. Which ones are leaking?
Old August 16th, 2018, 6:41 AM
CF Beginner

The short Metal ones. They are the lines that move the inside of the rack left and right. They don’t go to the pump at all for only about 18 inches long. I believe they come on the rack and Pinion when you buy the rack
Old August 16th, 2018, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

you could try getting a used line from a picknpull or make a new line if you have a flaring kit and tubing bender. other than that, if you can/t source this tube....your into a new rack