New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

Chevette

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2018, 6:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevette

Hii guys I'm new here. Where would I go to get help with a chevette motor. Thanks
Old August 18th, 2018, 7:00 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Ask a question here and somebody might know. There are also Chevette shop or repair manuals available on Ebay.
Old August 18th, 2018, 7:07 AM
CF Beginner

Lol that's the whole thing. About 10 years ago my dad built a homemade tractor and used a chevette motor. Nobody knows what year it came out of and when he passed away a couple months ago I inherited it.. it will run but the vacuum lines I was told a all screwed up. Only runs if you keep pumping the gas petal. Carb has been cleaned and there are vacuum lines unhooked.
Old August 18th, 2018, 1:36 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockey
Lol that's the whole thing. About 10 years ago my dad built a homemade tractor and used a chevette motor. Nobody knows what year it came out of and when he passed away a couple months ago I inherited it.. it will run but the vacuum lines I was told a all screwed up. Only runs if you keep pumping the gas petal. Carb has been cleaned and there are vacuum lines unhooked.
Why are there unhooked vacuum lines? Besides pulling in dust and grime, that's likely why the motor wont idle.

You should post this query on General Tech, BTW.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; August 18th, 2018 at 1:43 PM.
Old August 18th, 2018, 2:31 PM
CF Beginner

Not sure why they were unhooked. Dad had dementia and he was always frigging with it. Didnt have the heart to tell him to leave it alone. I asked earlier a question as to where to post it BTW
Old August 18th, 2018, 4:24 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

This is a good a place as any, IMO. My wife had one when we met 1981
Old August 19th, 2018, 7:02 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Look for ports on the engine that should have a hose attached but do not. If you can't find any then plug the ends of the hanging vacuum hoses and see if this helps the engine to run better.
Old August 19th, 2018, 7:18 AM
CF Beginner

The one fro. The distributor goes to witch port on carb? Imagine I can plug the rest . Again thanks for any help
Old August 19th, 2018, 8:25 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Is there a port on the intake manifold? If so, that's where I would put it, if not it won't matter.
Old August 19th, 2018, 9:20 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockey
The one fro. The distributor goes to witch port on carb? Imagine I can plug the rest . Again thanks for any help
There _SHOULD_ be a "can" (looks more like an expanded disk) on he side your ignition distributor. This is the vacuum advance device, that adusts your ignition timing, along with a centrifugal device that runs inside the ignition distributor and is not dependant on any vacuum to operate.

This old-style device needs to be connected to your carburetor by a small hose, for your motor to operate correctly.

Your Chevette motor was designed to work with BOTH ignition advance devices, when it was installed as OE, in the old Chevette that it was pulled from. Barring that, plug any and all open vacuum hoses, as "oldchevy" suggested here.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; August 19th, 2018 at 9:31 AM.