Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

07 equinox tune up

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2018, 11:05 AM
ole
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 equinox tune up

Hello all, first post here. My daughter just bought a 2007 Equinox with 95,000. on it.and it needs a tune up. Just wondering how hard the back three plugs are to remove. I am about to order 6 new plugs, coil pack, and wires. Which plugs are recommended for the Equinox?
Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
Ole
Old September 18th, 2018, 11:13 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Log onto rockauto.com and check out what they have.
Old September 18th, 2018, 11:36 AM
ole
CF Junior Member

Thanks Oldchevy,

I have a 2003 Excursion 7.3, 271,000. 2006 Explorer 4.0l, 167,000. I get most of my parts from Rockauto, they have been good to me so far.
The parts for the nox I will oder from Rockauto. Just worried about 3 plugs on the back side of engine. The 7.3 diesel and the 4.0l engines
I know, However the Equinox is all new to me.

Ole
Old September 18th, 2018, 11:46 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Sorry not familiar with the Equinox. Try looking for a video on YouTube.
Old September 18th, 2018, 1:39 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ole
Hello all, first post here. My daughter just bought a 2007 Equinox with 95,000. on it.and it needs a tune up. Just wondering how hard the back three plugs are to remove. I am about to order 6 new plugs, coil pack, and wires. Which plugs are recommended for the Equinox?
Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
Ole
The back three spark plugs aren't too bad to get at. It's been several years since I replaced the plugs & wires in our Equinox. IIRC I removed the ignition module, coil packs, and mounting bracket for better access. If you have an air compressor, be sure to blow out the spark plug wells before removing the plugs.

Don't waste your money on a new coil pack. They rarely fail on these vehicles.

I highly recommend the OEM iridium spark plugs (AC Delco 41-101), and genuinely think they are the best for this application. Even with 95,000 miles on them, you'll see that the spark plugs you'll remove will have very little gap erosion, and could be used for much longer.

As for the plug wires, as long as you avoid the cheap "economy" options you should be fine. I recommend AC Delco 746TT if you want something fairly inexpensive, but guaranteed to fit & function well.

The wireset I installed was Denso 671-6259. Their quality is good, and the lengths are very close to the OEM wires. I recall that the back three wires were slightly shorter than OEM, but they still fit fine. The other thing I remember was that the coil ends of the wires initially didn't want to stay on the coil pack towers without some force because I applied a small amount of dielectric grease on them. I believe this is a problem you'll likely run into with most wiresets.

Last edited by ruley73; September 18th, 2018 at 1:48 PM.
Old September 19th, 2018, 8:38 AM
CF Beginner

At 150,000 I had more difficulty getting the plug covers off than the plugs itself. Plugs are easily accessible from top if you work by sitting on the bonnet
Old September 27th, 2018, 11:54 AM
ole
CF Junior Member

Thank you ruley73,

Getting the plugs out was not a big deal, the wires were a little tough. I replaced the wires with the Denso 671-6259 and plugs AC Delco 41-101,
Old plugs were mostly shot. Plugs and wires made a really big difference. I also had a check engine P0420 code, i did clear it, now I'm hoping with the engine running like it should be it will be OK. fingers are crossed.
ole
Old September 27th, 2018, 9:08 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ole
Thank you ruley73,

Getting the plugs out was not a big deal, the wires were a little tough. I replaced the wires with the Denso 671-6259 and plugs AC Delco 41-101,
Old plugs were mostly shot. Plugs and wires made a really big difference. I also had a check engine P0420 code, i did clear it, now I'm hoping with the engine running like it should be it will be OK. fingers are crossed.
ole
I'm glad to hear everything went okay. If your engine was misfiring really bad before, that P0420 code may go away. If not, you probably have a bad downstream oxygen sensor or catalytic converter. In my experience it's usually the latter with that code. If the engine has been running subpar for a while, you may have damaged the catalytic converter.