Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Fuel Pump/Sender problems

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2018, 4:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump/Sender problems

I just replaced my fuel pump on my 1995 C1500 this weekend (Bosch fuel pump and spectra premium sender unit). The old fuel pump/sender was original and giving out. Since replacing the new one, my truck’s fuel gauge will fluctuate with the amount of gas given. Sometimes when I accelerate hard, the engine seems like it’s not getting enough fuel and greatly lower my acceleration rate (versus the original unit). When I let off, the gauge will drop 1/4 of a tank. It’s also starting to idle rough. It idled fine when I first installed it, but has gotten progressively worse. It seems like it doesn’t have pressure, but I replaced the seal when I replaced the pump/sender. It also will run rough when I’m maintaining a certain speed and then slightly give more gas like to speed up a couple MPH or when maintaining my speed going up a slight hill. I have no idea why it’s doing this. It’s my daily driver, so I need it to be reliable.
Old September 19th, 2018, 5:36 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Patricson27
I just replaced my fuel pump on my 1995 C1500 this weekend (Bosch fuel pump and spectra premium sender unit). The old fuel pump/sender was original and giving out. Since replacing the new one, my truck’s fuel gauge will fluctuate with the amount of gas given. Sometimes when I accelerate hard, the engine seems like it’s not getting enough fuel and greatly lower my acceleration rate (versus the original unit). When I let off, the gauge will drop 1/4 of a tank. It’s also starting to idle rough. It idled fine when I first installed it, but has gotten progressively worse. It seems like it doesn’t have pressure, but I replaced the seal when I replaced the pump/sender. It also will run rough when I’m maintaining a certain speed and then slightly give more gas like to speed up a couple MPH or when maintaining my speed going up a slight hill. I have no idea why it’s doing this. It’s my daily driver, so I need it to be reliable.
Bosch is good. Spectra is questionable at best, IMO. Have you checked fuel pressure? 1995 C-1500 with xxx,xxx miles, you might want to check your cylinder pressures out. Maybe a bottle of injector cleaner MIGHT help too.
Old September 19th, 2018, 5:39 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the input! I have done Injector cleaner, but I have not checked the pressure yet. I pulled/tore a muscle finishing up the truck, so I’ll have to wait till this weekend or next week to check the fuel pressure.
Old September 19th, 2018, 6:06 PM
CF Beginner

I’ve been confused becuase it didn’t have this problem until I replace the pump and sender. I wasn’t getting enough fuel with the old one and my gauge was jumping, but nothing like what it’s doing now (it would just increase when accelerating, start to die if cruising past a certain speed, and gas gauge would show more than full). Could the tube from the pump to the send come lose? Or the ground not be connected properly? I’m trying to see if I messed up installing it, but not entirely sure what I would have done wrong
Old September 19th, 2018, 8:38 PM
CF Beginner

Another thing I’ve noticed is that I’m burning gas at a ridiculous rate...like been through 1/4 of a tank in 30 miles. I normally get about 10 miles per gallon, but now it’s ridiculously poor
Old September 20th, 2018, 12:12 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Patricson27
Another thing I’ve noticed is that I’m burning gas at a ridiculous rate...like been through 1/4 of a tank in 30 miles. I normally get about 10 miles per gallon, but now it’s ridiculously poor
Yeah, that's pretty bad MPG, but Ive seen worse. Had a friend, long ago bought the old "found on road dead" smaller Bronco's, looked like a Jeep. 302 C-I V8, auto tranny with full manual locking hubs into 2WD. MPG on the highway at 55 MPH: 9 miles per gallon brand new, I kid you not. Damn I hate fords junk! My 70's Jeep would get 15 MPG easy, with a straight-six CI 258 engine and about the same HP as the Bronco Was a 4-spd stick w/ 1st granny gear, no overdrive.

Anyhow. you really cant trust new parts to work well if they are made in Asia. Delphi stuff is mostly garbage now that they are made in China or Singapore.
I'd be looking at your fuel pressures, and if you haven't done so get a good fuel filter. Lots of cheap gas stations don't change the dispenser filters too often.
Old September 20th, 2018, 9:53 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When it runs rough,black tailpipe? running rich?how about watching injector spray pattern,nice cone shape?and on shut down,any fuel still coming into throttle body?and the gauge,high reading is usually bad ground, check connections,was truck side connection for sending unit in good shape?
Old September 20th, 2018, 10:09 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by geo1
When it runs rough,black tailpipe? running rich?how about watching injector spray pattern,nice cone shape?and on shut down,any fuel still coming into throttle body?and the gauge,high reading is usually bad ground, check connections,was truck side connection for sending unit in good shape?
I can hear the pump running when I turn the key partially. The exhaust tip isn’t black or smoking, but there is a more than normal fuel smell in the exhaust. The truck side connection seemed fine, but I will raise the bed again when I heal up (tore an intercostal muscle) to check the ground wire. I haven’t been able to check the injectors yet, but they seemed fine before replacing the pump and sender. I’m trying to upload a video of it running
Old September 20th, 2018, 10:18 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heal up,with the fuel consumption, something is a miss up front,leaking fuel pressure regulator?
Old September 20th, 2018, 10:22 AM
CF Beginner

Here is the link for the video