Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Information display is frozen

Old September 19th, 2018, 10:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Information display is frozen

I have searched a little but did not see this specific issue

I have a 2012 with the USB/headphone jack inside my console. Recently the display (not speedometer, etc. but the screen in the center with radio controls, etc.) will freeze when I start my vehicle. Sometimes it is active for a brief time while it seems to be trying to display the USB source then defaults to the radio and freezes. If I happen to be backing out, usually my cam will show but then the entire screen will be black after I shift into drive. If I was not in reverse, the display simply freezes. It looks normal, but the clock does not advance and none of the radio related controls, including those on the steering wheel, respond. Whatever radio station I happened to be most recently tuned to plays, but I cannot adjust volume.

I can make a bluetooth call but the info does not appear on the screen
The locks/child locks/hazzard button all respond
The climate controls below the entertainment controls all respond as well.

The display does seem to reset itself if I shut the vehicle off and it sits for an (as of now) undetermined amount of time...seems to need to be several minutes at least. I have tried stopping after I pull out of my garage, shutting the vehicle off, opening and closing doors, and it will still remain frozen. When I stopped to pump gas the other day it did reset itself.

I have a large capacity (128?) ipod connected in the console and I have noticed the unit never fully "indexes" the artists. I did not have this issue previously when I had a much smaller (16) capacity ipod, but this issue also did not start immediately with the change in ipods as the newer one was a Christmas gift and this issue is probably 2 months old...but does seem to be increasing in frequency.

I guess I am interested in two questions.
1. What is the fix. Replace the head unit?
2. What is the work around? Pull a fuse? Shut the vehicle off for xx minutes? Remove the key, beep the horn, cross my fingers, and belch?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Old September 20th, 2018, 2:46 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by tbeals13
I have searched a little but did not see this specific issue

I have a 2012 with the USB/headphone jack inside my console. Recently the display (not speedometer, etc. but the screen in the center with radio controls, etc.) will freeze when I start my vehicle. Sometimes it is active for a brief time while it seems to be trying to display the USB source then defaults to the radio and freezes. If I happen to be backing out, usually my cam will show but then the entire screen will be black after I shift into drive. If I was not in reverse, the display simply freezes. It looks normal, but the clock does not advance and none of the radio related controls, including those on the steering wheel, respond. Whatever radio station I happened to be most recently tuned to plays, but I cannot adjust volume.

I can make a bluetooth call but the info does not appear on the screen
The locks/child locks/hazzard button all respond
The climate controls below the entertainment controls all respond as well.

The display does seem to reset itself if I shut the vehicle off and it sits for an (as of now) undetermined amount of time...seems to need to be several minutes at least. I have tried stopping after I pull out of my garage, shutting the vehicle off, opening and closing doors, and it will still remain frozen. When I stopped to pump gas the other day it did reset itself.

I have a large capacity (128?) ipod connected in the console and I have noticed the unit never fully "indexes" the artists. I did not have this issue previously when I had a much smaller (16) capacity ipod, but this issue also did not start immediately with the change in ipods as the newer one was a Christmas gift and this issue is probably 2 months old...but does seem to be increasing in frequency.

I guess I am interested in two questions.
1. What is the fix. Replace the head unit?
2. What is the work around? Pull a fuse? Shut the vehicle off for xx minutes? Remove the key, beep the horn, cross my fingers, and belch?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
I'm no expert on MyLink, but I'd pull the battery cable off for a bit. I wont hurt and it MIGHT help. Thats just a guess, of course.
Old October 5th, 2018, 7:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"When connecting an external source to the radio you are limited to 10,000 tracks. They must be MP3 or WMA format. If you get north of 5,000 tracks the indexing becomes very slow."

I posted my question to a different forum and received the response above. I deleted about 2000 tracks from my iPod and have not had an issue for about a week.

Search this Thread