Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Fluctuating Fuel Gauge

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2018, 5:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluctuating Fuel Gauge

Hello All,

I am back with another issue with my 09 Tahoe, this time it's a problem with the fuel gauge. Over the last couple of days I have noticed that the gauge fluctuates - today I started the car and had a 1/4 of a tank which I think was accurate based on when my last fill up was, I drove about 15 miles to run some errands and while sitting in a parking lot I observed the gauge gradually move up to above 1/2 and then back down. It continued to act like this until I started driving again and it stopped moving around. It pretty much moves around any time I stop and the fuel range in the DIC goes up and down as well. Sometimes it goes up and down quickly and other times slowly. If I stop and restart the car the gauge returns to what I believe is the right level.

Any ideas what could be going on here? Thanks!
Old September 21st, 2018, 2:54 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by hockeyfan
Hello All,

I am back with another issue with my 09 Tahoe, this time it's a problem with the fuel gauge. Over the last couple of days I have noticed that the gauge fluctuates - today I started the car and had a 1/4 of a tank which I think was accurate based on when my last fill up was, I drove about 15 miles to run some errands and while sitting in a parking lot I observed the gauge gradually move up to above 1/2 and then back down. It continued to act like this until I started driving again and it stopped moving around. It pretty much moves around any time I stop and the fuel range in the DIC goes up and down as well. Sometimes it goes up and down quickly and other times slowly. If I stop and restart the car the gauge returns to what I believe is the right level.

Any ideas what could be going on here? Thanks!
Probably the fuel gauge sender going bad. Not worth fixing unless the fuel pump goes south, IMO.
Old September 21st, 2018, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Probably the fuel gauge sender going bad. Not worth fixing unless the fuel pump goes south, IMO.
Is the sender part of the fuel pump assembly?
Old September 21st, 2018, 6:50 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by hockeyfan
Is the sender part of the fuel pump assembly?
Yes and no. You can replace the fuel pump, without changing the fuel sender. Since dropping a gas tank without
a hoist or lift is a bear, I'd do both at once. Make sure your fuel is very low, if you do. Makes it much easier to do.
Old September 22nd, 2018, 11:36 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Yes and no. You can replace the fuel pump, without changing the fuel sender. Since dropping a gas tank without
a hoist or lift is a bear, I'd do both at once. Make sure your fuel is very low, if you do. Makes it much easier to do.
Gotcha, thanks for the help!