Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2005 Silverado Z71 4X4 Loud metallic popping

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2018, 10:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Silverado Z71 4X4 Loud metallic popping

I am new to the forum. I have a 2005 Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab 4X4. I started to leave the house the other day and had extremely loud metallic popping sound and some grinding noises coming from the front driver's side wheel. Originally thought something got between my pad and rotor. I cleaned it up and still had the issue. A friend mentioned that his ford had a problem with a spring rusting and it would start to engage 4 wheel drive. I engaged 4 wheel drive and the sound went away. I drove in 4 wheel high and low before switching back to 2wd. The noise has completely gone away. I am sure it is just a temporary solution. Has anyone dealt with this and what is the actual fix for the issue? I don't want this to come back with a vengeance. Your knowledge and advice is very appreciated. Thanks
Old September 25th, 2018, 2:33 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by thegrantboy
I am new to the forum. I have a 2005 Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab 4X4. I started to leave the house the other day and had extremely loud metallic popping sound and some grinding noises coming from the front driver's side wheel. Originally thought something got between my pad and rotor. I cleaned it up and still had the issue. A friend mentioned that his ford had a problem with a spring rusting and it would start to engage 4 wheel drive. I engaged 4 wheel drive and the sound went away. I drove in 4 wheel high and low before switching back to 2wd. The noise has completely gone away. I am sure it is just a temporary solution. Has anyone dealt with this and what is the actual fix for the issue? I don't want this to come back with a vengeance. Your knowledge and advice is very appreciated. Thanks
If you dont use 4x4 much, stuff happens. I'd leave it be for now. engage 4x4 once a month.
Old September 25th, 2018, 8:34 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Friend was talking about lockout hub,ours are full time and unlock a diff.you got a outer c.v. joint going bad?