Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

New guy here

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2018, 4:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy here

New to this forum, I have not owned a GM vehicle since 2002. I just picked up a low mile 2015 Express 3500 extended passenger van. This van will be used for vacations and general running around with my large family. I plan on making a few mods for interior comfort, sound system and a few goodies to allow us to get a little further off pavement and make camping more pleasant. Seriously considering a 4x4 conversion too, we live in the Colorado Rockies, already put snow tires on her, had to to make it up my driveway
Old October 21st, 2018, 6:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome. Congrats on your purchase, I hope it serves you well.
Pics or I don't believe you bought one......lol

On the sound system I used an audio control converter to add a 5 channel amp to my savana so I could keep the factory stereo. Changed all the speakers and added a sub. not too hard to do. I used a piece of plywood under the passenger seat to mount the 2 units.
Old October 21st, 2018, 6:44 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by canucklehead
Welcome. Congrats on your purchase, I hope it serves you well.
Pics or I don't believe you bought one......lol

On the sound system I used an audio control converter to add a 5 channel amp to my savana so I could keep the factory stereo. Changed all the speakers and added a sub. not too hard to do. I used a piece of plywood under the passenger seat to mount the 2 units.

Thanks for the welcome and the congrats! So far the wife and I are very happy with it. We have made a couple of 200 mile round trip runs to Denver with it, runs great up and down the hills, great MPG for what it is and the kids are all super happy with the extra space vs the SUV we traded in for it. We have a two week Oregon coast camping trip planned for Christmas, can't wait to give her a good work out.

I have a nice double din head unit, amps, sub and speakers left over from another car that I plan on installing. I like the idea of the amps under the passenger seat, just took a peek, I believe I can get a couple of amps under there. Thanks for the idea.

Let me give it a bath and I will post pics. Unfortunately it is already muddy from our recent snow and too many miles of dirt roads to get back to our place.
Old October 22nd, 2018, 9:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome. I swapped out the stock sound system, head and all. I wanted video for a backup cam. Check that out, as well as other things I did (link below).
Old October 27th, 2018, 5:05 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by StanVan
Welcome. I swapped out the stock sound system, head and all. I wanted video for a backup cam. Check that out, as well as other things I did (link below).
Thanks for the welcome!

I just finished reading your build thread, your van looks great, nice work!

The sound system is a must, the stock system is lame. I just need to find time to install what I have. Or break down and pay someone to do it.

Backup camera is a must too, my wife backed into my car (in our driveway) a few weeks ago, fortunately it was with the vehicle we traded in. Unfortunately my car did not fair too well.
Old October 28th, 2018, 4:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks. In case you missed it, the door and rear speakers are powered by the head. Only the sub has it's own amp.

The other thing I'd say is that I might not recommend the exact rear cam I got. It was great at first, but has gotten foggy in recent months. I'm not home until next week, so I'll try and post the make/model then.
Old November 5th, 2018, 7:38 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteVan
New to this forum, I have not owned a GM vehicle since 2002. I just picked up a low mile 2015 Express 3500 extended passenger van. This van will be used for vacations and general running around with my large family. I plan on making a few mods for interior comfort, sound system and a few goodies to allow us to get a little further off pavement and make camping more pleasant. Seriously considering a 4x4 conversion too, we live in the Colorado Rockies, already put snow tires ont her, had to to make it up my driveway
Let us know what sound system you pick. Mine doesnt mix with the screen I just installed, I need something to match the movie theater size screen I have. its only a 13" inch monitor, but you know the kids feel like they are at the movies. lol