Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2001 Express BCM location?

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2018, 12:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Express BCM location?

Hi,
Have a couple of pickups and cars but I am new to the Express Van.
Recently bought a 2001 Starcraft 2500 Cargo Van and it has some issues.
It often wonīt start, it just ignites for a second or so but never really starts.
Sometimes it starts and runs.
Suspecting the Passlock system and will try to bypass it but I canīt find the BCM.
So, where do I lock for the BCM?

Thanks in advance.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 12:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a thought, but did you try to wiggle the gear shift. Thinking of the neutral switch.
Have you checked for codes?
The 2001 has a dizzy cap that loves to get corroded. Have a look underneath and see if the 8 points need some emery cloth.
The 2001 only has passlock 2 I think. So it only cares if the key is in the ignition. The key has no chip. So if it fires, then it may not be a passlock problem....
Old October 23rd, 2018, 12:55 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

On my 2014, the BCM (Body Control Module) is in the dash, under the passenger Air Bag.

Last edited by dberladyn; October 23rd, 2018 at 12:59 AM.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 5:57 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dberladyn
On my 2014, the BCM (Body Control Module) is in the dash, under the passenger Air Bag.
Thanks for the reply.
Removed the cover plate under the Air Bag but didnīt see it. Might need to remove the Air Bag itself to gain access to the BCM. Will try to do that. For how long should I wait after taken off the battery until I can remove the Air Bag?
Old October 23rd, 2018, 6:02 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by canucklehead
Just a thought, but did you try to wiggle the gear shift. Thinking of the neutral switch.
The 2001 has a dizzy cap that loves to get corroded. Have a look underneath and see if the 8 points need some emery cloth.
The 2001 only has passlock 2 I think. So it only cares if the key is in the ignition. The key has no chip. So if it fires, then it may not be a passlock problem....
Hmm, I replied to this but it came up a message a moderator needs to look at it, maybe it shows later.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 3:16 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't touch the airbag. Yours is definitely different than mine as you should be looking at the BCM with that cover off. I assume in your year the electrical is totally different, even the BCM I'd expect to be metal unlike my black plastic box.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 4:54 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scroll down to astro,I put a informative site on the thread that's up now,might help
Old October 23rd, 2018, 11:26 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by canucklehead
Originally Posted by Karlson
Hmm, I replied to this but it came up a message a moderator needs to look at it, maybe it shows later.
Here is about what I was typing the first time but never showed:
Thanks for reply.
Haven't tried to wiggle the shifter. It always cranks and if it was the neutral switch I donīt think it would crank.
There was two codes, P0101 and P0107. Cleared the codes and CEL went out. managed to start it, no CEL came on but when scanning it the P0107 is still there.
Also checked the dizzy cap and it looked almost new.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 11:46 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dberladyn
I wouldn't touch the airbag. Yours is definitely different than mine as you should be looking at the BCM with that cover off. I assume in your year the electrical is totally different, even the BCM I'd expect to be metal unlike my black plastic box.
Again, tried to reply to this but a message flashed for a second or two something about a moderator need to at it?
Old October 23rd, 2018, 11:56 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by geo1
Scroll down to astro,I put a informative site on the thread that's up now,might help
Found it. I will definitely look into that. Thanks for posting that link.