Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

cyl 7 misfire and coolant in the plug well

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2018, 6:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cyl 7 misfire and coolant in the plug well

My '11 Crown vic with 270k miles suddenly started running rough mostly at the lower end of the gears. By the time you got into o/d the whole car shook. Scan tool gives me P0307 cyl 7 misfire, and P0316 misfire upon startup. So I pull the coil on 7 to find a pool of burnt smelling coolant about 2" deep. Siphoned and blew it out and removed the plug to find it's electrodes fouled with a thin coat of something shiny and black. Rubbed off without much effort. The plugs are about 4 weeks and 1500 miles old. Pulled cyl 6 coil right next to it and found a lot of white particles about half the size of rice stuck to the sides of the plug well walls. Seemed odd as I'd just blown out all the plug wells a month ago. Blew it out again and removed the plug to reveal electrodes that were coated slightly white. This plug had a ring of a black just south of the hex part. Looked like darkened sort of coagulated oil. Wiped off easily.

The car drives much better now after blowing the antifreeze out of the plug well but the miss is still there. So glad as this might buy me some time to get this figured out.

I'm not even sure how it's possible for coolant to get in a plug well. Any ideas, head gasket maybe? What's my next step in investigating?
Old November 14th, 2018, 11:44 PM
CF Junior Member

I've now gotten advice that this may be a leaky intake manifold or gasket. Is there a test I can perform that confirms it's my intake manifold that's leaking before I start taking parts off?
Old November 15th, 2018, 9:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for helping a stranger everybody. Found the leak at the front driver corner of the intake manifold. Really wish it wasn't so cold out now.

Any last advice on a cheap place to get a OEM intake manifold? Considering how much this car is driven I better stay away from after market.

Last edited by bradleyheathhays; November 16th, 2018 at 12:57 AM.
Old November 16th, 2018, 6:50 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

You can look online Fel Pro, after market but I've had really good luck with them, they've been around a LONG time.People probably shy'ed away from this post as you are asking about a Ford. You might google what you have find the gasket set you need. I'm posting rockauto link.
https://www.rockauto.com/