Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Oil pressure sender filter

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2018, 7:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil pressure sender filter

Hi all, I could use some help. I changed oil pressure sender on my 2000 express 1500 conversion van explorer. 5.7. O[l pressure still bottoms out after a few miles. I suspect the sender filter. Can anyone get me to a video to find out exactly where it is and how to clean or replace it. I have an idea, just want to know for sure. I'm not a wrencher, but i'm blessed with common sense to fix things. Thanks for any help with this... Wayne..
Old November 16th, 2018, 1:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Did you try Google? I searched for vortec oil pressure sensor filter and three videos came up.
Old November 16th, 2018, 4:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for answering back. I saw the videos, but can't find one for a van. A brass fitting comes up vertical from manifold and the new sender i put in goes into it horizontal. is the filter inside this brass fitting?
Old November 16th, 2018, 5:49 PM
Super Moderator

The engine should be similar to non-van 5.7's
According to this video, the screen is directly under the oil pressure switch. Looks like a royal pain in kiester
Old November 16th, 2018, 6:48 PM
CF Junior Member

I can't find a sender filter for my van, so i don't think it has one. After taking off the dog house it's about a 30 second fix to put on the sender. Very easy on my van. The only easy fix on it lol..Thanks for the help...

Last edited by wyn_fox; November 16th, 2018 at 6:52 PM.
Old November 16th, 2018, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Oil Pressure Diagnosis and Testing

1. With the vehicle on a level surface, allow adequate drain down time, 2-3 minutes, and measure for a low engine oil level.
  2. Add the recommended grade engine oil, and fill the crankcase until the oil level measures FULL on the oil level indicator.
  3. Operate the engine and verify low or no oil pressure on the vehicle oil pressure gage or the oil indicator light.
  4. Listen for a noisy valve train or a knocking noise.
  5. Inspect for the following:
    • Engine oil diluted by moisture or unburned fuel mixtures
    • Improper engine oil viscosity for the expected temperature
    • Incorrect or faulty oil pressure gage sensor
    • Incorrect or faulty oil pressure gage
    • Plugged oil filter
    • Malfunctioning oil filter bypass valve
  6. Remove the oil pressure gage sensor or another engine block oil gallery plug.
  7. Install an oil pressure gage.
  8. Start the engine and then allow the engine to reach normal operation temperature.
  9. Measure the engine oil pressure at the following RPM:
  10. Specification
    1. 42 kPa (6 psig) minimum, at 1,000 RPM
    2. 125 kPa (18 psig) minimum, at 2,000 RPM
    3. 166 kPa (24 psig) minimum, at 4,000 RPM
  11. If the engine oil pressure is below minimum specifications, inspect the engine for one or more of the following:
    • Oil pump worn or dirty
    • Malfunctioning oil pump pressure relief valve
    • Oil pump screen loose, plugged, or damaged
    • Excessive bearing clearance
    • Cracked, porous or restricted oil galleries
    • Engine block oil gallery plugs missing or incorrectly installed
    • Broken valve lifters
Old November 19th, 2018, 6:53 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks again for helping me.. Iv'e checked most of these, I have no noise coming from engine, however i put gage where sender goes and it stayed steady at 10. I know that's low, but again no noise from engine. What i can't find is the screen right before it. Rock auto doesn't show it and many others don't either. I'm not sure that video says the right part # and for sure it's not the right part # for my van. Can you lead me to where i could find that part and correct name for it. The van runs like it's a few years old. oil looks good and filter wasn't clogged.
Old November 21st, 2018, 7:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never heard of a sender screen on the earlier gen II vortec engines, I believe that came in with the gen III / LS design. 10psi at full operating temp idle is low, but if you have some miles on it then it's not unexpected. What grade of oil are you running? How many miles on the engine?
Old November 21st, 2018, 9:17 AM
CF Junior Member

5-30 syn about 200.000 miles. I was wondering if it was in the brass fitting the sender goes into and or take the brass piece off and inspect and clean.. I did go to gm website and finally found the screen and it said it was a fit, but i need to put in my vin and see for sure. I am doing that today..
Old November 22nd, 2018, 8:21 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with 200k on it I'd step up a couple grades in oil...run some Delo400 15w-40.
Engine temperature has a big affect on idle oil pressure as well, if your radiator is the original and you haven't pressure washed the cooling stack you probably are running warmer than you should be at idle and that can shave off 3-5psi by itself..