Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

98 cavalier 2.2 sedan automatic all over the road

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2018, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 cavalier 2.2 sedan automatic all over the road

Hey new to the forum, just bought a 98 Cavy with only 150k km on it and am having some issues. When driving you can feel the car pulling from side to side, feels like it mostly pulls to drivers side but I'm unsure. When you are on snow or ice the car feels like it's going to spin out. I have jacked it up and checked to see if the back brakes are sticking which they aren't, I have also checked the front brakes and steering. Steering components seem fine (very sensitive steering) and front brakes I'm unsure about. The rotors looks like crap and the tire wont get a full spin when off the ground and in neutral (both sides) I have no noise but it feels like my fronts are dragging a bit but on and off. Not sure if its brakes or bearings (have not taken the calipers off yet) just wondering if anyone has had this issues
Old November 18th, 2018, 12:51 PM
CF Beginner

Or maybe something in my steering is to tight? Not sure but if I even move the steering wheel a 1/8 inch its turning the car.
Old November 18th, 2018, 1:02 PM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Under hard acceleration, does the pull seem to increase? I would check the motor mounts, and especially the transmission mount. If it is broken, it can cause excessive torque steer. The rotating wheels become the tail that wags the dog.

Last edited by Kazoocruiser; November 18th, 2018 at 1:06 PM.
Old November 18th, 2018, 1:07 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Kazoocruiser
Under hard acceleration, does the pull seem to increase? I would check the motor mounts, and especially the transmission mount. If it is broken, it can cause excessive torque steer. The rotating wheels become the tail that wags the dog.
no, under hard acceleration it seems fine. Pulls straight.
Old November 18th, 2018, 1:11 PM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd still suspect 20+ year old motor / transmission mounts.