Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Cooler line leak

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2018, 9:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooler line leak

I took my van to the dealer because of a window recall. When I got home I open the hood and I notice that I had a fluid leak on one of the cooler lines. I don't know if it's the transmission line or the engine line. I haven't seen any leaks on the ground. I have about 71000 miles so I'm hoping that its cover under the powertrain warranty.

Last edited by silent_20; November 20th, 2018 at 9:34 PM.
Old November 21st, 2018, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

I don't see anything wet, so no panic. Where does the other end lead to?
Old November 21st, 2018, 8:08 AM
CF Junior Member

looks like drivers side so that would be the engine oil cooler lines...they are notorious for short life and weeping at the crimp, you'll play hell trying to get them replaced unless they actually leak fluid out and not just weep like that....I had a friend that got sick of them and poured some oil on the hoses then took it in and got them to replace them..
Old November 21st, 2018, 8:10 AM
CF Junior Member

I didn't see the where it connected but it's this line https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-20832452-Original-Equipment-Engine/dp/B004JBI65M . The line doesn't look soak it just looked like the fluid was building up.

The green circle is from my picture. The blue is where the buildup ended. I wipe the green area clean. I'll keep checking my oil more often.
Old November 21st, 2018, 8:14 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by LCAC_Man
looks like drivers side so that would be the engine oil cooler lines...they are notorious for short life and weeping at the crimp, you'll play hell trying to get them replaced unless they actually leak fluid out and not just weep like that....I had a friend that got sick of them and poured some oil on the hoses then took it in and got them to replace them..
Yeah that's what it is. How bad is it if I don't get it repair?
Old November 21st, 2018, 8:20 AM
CF Junior Member

no big deal...many guys just get tired of replacing them and just keep them cleaned up...I've never heard of an outright failure of them..once they get bad enough to actually cause a driveway leak you'll probably break down and replace them.. there are aftermarket fixes that replace just the oem flexible sections with actual hydraulic hose, it's a fair amount of effort to do but it solves the problem for good..
Old November 21st, 2018, 2:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

The oil lines had a sweat on my old van. I was doing some other work on the front end so I decided to fix them. I just cut off the crimps and replaced them with ordinary hose clamps (doubled up). Dry as a bone after that.

Yours don't look too bad.
Old November 21st, 2018, 2:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks going to see if dealer will do it for free under warranty, if they don't then I won't worry about it.