Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

P1682 and Other Fun Stuff

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2018, 6:54 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default P1682 and Other Fun Stuff

Okay, Our van had been parked for a few days. When I attempted to start it, the engine started but the starter stayed engaged. Shut it off and tried a few more times and finally it started properly but ran very rough. The message, Reduced Power was displayed along with the check engine light. The code was P1682. I cleared the code and it restarted and ran fine. Any thoughts on trouble shooting this?

A little background on this van. The instrument cluster dies intermittently for a few seconds (unless it is quite warm in the van and then it might die for several minutes) The dealer has replaced the Instrument Cluster, removed the after market radio and replaced the ignition switch. All of this was done to address the instrument cluster issue. The startup problem is new! So far, I have put another ignition switch in and swapped the start relay for the AC relay...problem still exists.

Regards,
Gary
2014 4500 Express Cutaway Van Chassis
Old December 13th, 2018, 7:09 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Your starter problem is probably a sticking solenoid on the starter. You can check it for wear and try cleaning and lubricating the starter solenoid or just replacing the unit.
Old December 13th, 2018, 8:01 AM
CF Junior Member

^ Thanks, pricing one now...

Gary
Old December 13th, 2018, 8:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd wonder about the dealer. I can't see how an aftermarket radio would cause any problem. The installation, maybe. But not the radio itself.
Old December 13th, 2018, 8:58 AM
CF Junior Member

Stan,
It had to do with the installation. According to GM, the installer tapped into the 12v circuit for the body control module and they were convinced that was why the IC was intermittently going dead. That was later disproven when I moved the 12v tap directly to the battery. I've been struggling with the dash issue for two years with no real success. This latest issue may be related to the same source.

Gary
Old December 13th, 2018, 9:27 AM
CF Veteran

It's been too many years since I installed professionally, and maybe things have changed. But they used to have the power plug for a radio, even if the vehicle was ordered without a radio. If your suspicion is correct, I'd look for other aftermarket items that may have been installed. I'd be interested in knowing more about your van(?). RV, or work truck? Back in the day, we used to call that a "cab & chassis".
Old December 13th, 2018, 10:39 AM
CF Junior Member

Stan,
You're right... I think the dealer is as much to blame as anyone. They pointed the figure at the up-fitter and the up-fitter said "no way"! To get the dealer back focused on solving the problem, I just told them to remove it and I would deal with it later.
Yes, this is a cab/chassis holding up a Coachman Class C RV. The only "after market" item in the GM section was the radio. I now have the original radio re-installed and pulling power directly from the aux battery. The memory circuit is also tied to that same battery. I did it this way to demonstrate to the dealer and GM that the radio was not the source of the problem. They have since agreed and moved on to the IC...which they replaced a few months ago. (that didn't fix anything either) I don't want to take it back to them so, I'm struggling with this myself.
This new issue has me nervous as I'm concerned this "electrical gremlin" may be growing!
Gary
Old December 26th, 2018, 9:28 AM
CF Junior Member

UPDATE: Replaced relays 15 and 49. It hasn't acted up for a few days! I'm hoping this is it.

Gary
Old December 27th, 2018, 8:13 AM
CF Veteran

Great! Thanks for the update.

Old December 31st, 2018, 8:35 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is your instrument cluster located, I'm sure it's causing me problems. tks..