Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Rebuild or Crate

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2018, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild or Crate

Hello all, seeking some advice here!!
I have a 68 Camaro RS with a 350 .030 over, balanced. Decent cam, headers, 2.02 heads, edlebrock intake and carb. The engine hasn't been touched in 35 years, I did pull heads about 15 years ago and had them gone through. I want to either go back through the engine to re-fresh it or possibly looking at putting a Chevrolet crate engine in it. Now, one thing, I don't have the tools nor the time to do this myself, so I will need to pay someone to do this for me. I am not racing this car, it's my Sunday car, a car that I want to sound good, maybe burn the tires hear and there, however that is about it. What thoughts and advice can you give me? Thanks in advance!!
Old December 13th, 2018, 12:46 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by mpsully
Hello all, seeking some advice here!!
I have a 68 Camaro RS with a 350 .030 over, balanced. Decent cam, headers, 2.02 heads, edlebrock intake and carb. The engine hasn't been touched in 35 years, I did pull heads about 15 years ago and had them gone through. I want to either go back through the engine to re-fresh it or possibly looking at putting a Chevrolet crate engine in it. Now, one thing, I don't have the tools nor the time to do this myself, so I will need to pay someone to do this for me. I am not racing this car, it's my Sunday car, a car that I want to sound good, maybe burn the tires hear and there, however that is about it. What thoughts and advice can you give me? Thanks in advance!!
Id go with the crate engine.
Old December 14th, 2018, 11:19 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is the original engine and you want to keep it stock then do the rebuild, if not, the crate motor is a very good option.
Old December 15th, 2018, 12:30 PM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sell the car.
Old December 15th, 2018, 2:34 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

I would keep it original and rebuild it. What shape is the body in?