Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

Fan will not stop and engine light on

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2018, 4:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan will not stop and engine light on

Hello, as mentioned in the title I am having a problem with the fan working non stop, the engine light coming on and also having the smell of burning antifreeze both inside and outside of a 2011 Chevy Cruise. The vehicle has only 33,000 km. I can see there is antifreeze pooling below the thermostat. Also I have read many forum posts regarding this same issue with other Cruzes.

I would like to be contacted by a Chevrolet administrator with information about how this problem can be resolved. Considering the mileage and the sheer number of people with this problem I do not think it unreasonable for Chevrolet to help deal with this problem. The dealership this vehicle was purchased and serviced from has been unreasonable to deal with in the past, even going as far to try and "teach" a 70 year old driver about how to put an automatic transmission into drive and to operate it. If at all possible I would like to discuss any other options for repairs other than the original dealership.

Thanks you for your time and consideration in this matter,
James.
Old December 18th, 2018, 11:38 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem you are describing sounds like a bad head gasket, cracked head or worse, a cracked block. Based on the age of the car, 2011, I'm guessing you are outside of the factory warranty. Did you purchase an extended warranty plan? If so, find someone else who will honor the warranty. If there is no extended warranty, take the car where ever you like.
Old December 18th, 2018, 12:20 PM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the first thing that you can do is make sure there is enough coolant in the system to make sure any sensor that is supposed to be measuring engine temperature is at least in contact with circulating coolant. You have indicated you have a leak. It is likely the smell is being carried into the passenger compartment via the ventilation system. The stink is there to tell you that something is broken, which you have found and described. Replacing the thermostat gasket or housing gasket seems like a no-brainer here.

If there isn't enough coolant in the system, it is possible that the switch that turns on the fan is reading a "too hot" condition, and that is why the fan won't shut off. Leaks never fix themselves, and unless you want a clogged up heater core or blocked water jacket passages, chemical stop leaks cause more problems than they solve.

You could take the VIN to a dealer, and see if there are any active recalls which might still apply to your vehicle.