Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

'00 Burban LT, Rear A/C parts missing

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2019, 8:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '00 Burban LT, Rear A/C parts missing

I recently picked up a '00 Suburban LT. While this old thing has a few more important issues, one cosmetic thing I noticed is for some reason, the previous owner removed a few components from under the hood for the rear air conditioning. The two A/C lines are just hanging loose under the hood, open to the elements. The only reason I can think of why they did this, is maybe the rear evaporator started leaking, and they didn't wanna pay to fix it. So they just had the rear system isolated. Now I get to figure out what parts are missing/changed from under the hood, and flush the system out! Yay!

Anyways, mostly what I want to know is where the two systems (Front and rear) meet up, so I know where to start. I presume both systems ran off the same compressor, so I'm gonna guess they split off at the receiver/dryer or something else. Front system is sealed up and works just fine. Pictures of a working system would be awesome.
Old February 16th, 2019, 9:25 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

I had a '94 Suburban with 5.7 engine, we now have a 2005 Yukon with 6.0.

These utilize a single compressor. My 2005 has a small separate belt to it, the 1994 had just a single serpentine belt.

Both the high pressure and the low pressure lines "tee" off to the rear unit in the engine compartment. It sounds to me to be expensive if you want to get parts like rear evaporator and expansion valve, maybe rear blower motor, etc. to get the rear system going. Unless you really need AC for the 3rd row passengers, maybe consider blocking off both the AC lines going to this; do not route to each other to bypass like one might bypass a heater core, because then liquid refrigerant could be getting back to the compressor.

The heating to the rear unit uses two separate lines to the rear heater core so should be entirely separate except for shared blower fan.