Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Pause/Hesistation/Deep breath into 2nd gear at heavy throttle

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2019, 1:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pause/Hesistation/Deep breath into 2nd gear at heavy throttle

1996 Chevy Silverado 5.7L vortec, 4l60e Tranny

No Codes Thrown
Problem:
When I go 50%+ on the throttle. It takes off with tons of power but then it seems to take a DEEP BREATH and shifts to 2nd. Then continues to haul butt fast the remainder of the gears.
Maybe this is normal. I don't know. I say this because, I just did the o2 sensors and CPFI to MPFI change. I now have so much power back that I was excited to stomp on the gas pedal. Though, I was thrown by the hesitation to keep going hard through the gears.
I don't think my o2 sensors or that old CPFI was giving me all of my power. This is new power I have never felt. I bought my truck in Virginia 5 years ago and moved back home to Maine. Slowly working on everything that I saw as a problem.

Recent work completed:
CPFI to MPFI (Due to misfire on #5, this swap did resolve my issue.
All o2 sensors changed (Bank 1 Sensor 1code thrown) (Bank 2 Sensor 2 code thrown) (P0420 Cat Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1)<--- Guessing for now it has been solved due to o2 sensor change, no dummy light since.
Transmission rebuilt by very reputable shop near me (Took a dump just before the misfire issue, bad sprag)

It is not these issues:
Fuel filter is 1 yr old so it is not that
Fuel pump pressure was tested when we did the diagnostics on it for the misfire.

Last edited by sheepsblood; February 19th, 2019 at 1:30 PM.
Old February 19th, 2019, 1:20 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

what are you working on. not that i can help you but theres a few different trans that came in that truck depending on what size it is (4l60e or 4l80e) and people shouldnt have to look in your profile to see your list of vehicles. besides that if you look at mine i have something like 9 or so vehicles and i could be working on a friends
Old February 19th, 2019, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, thanks for the tips.

1996 Chevy Silverado 5.7L vortec, 4l60e Tranny