Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Shackle Bolt and Rear A/C Contact Damage

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2019, 1:09 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Shackle Bolt and Rear A/C Contact Damage

If any of you are like me, and deal with service bulletins and recalls... eventually... (unless they have catastrophic effects), and you have a 2015-2016, I recommend you look into SB 31170-01 (https://gm.oemdtc.com/6906/31170-01-...ess-gmc-savana).

I recently took my van in for a couple recalls, and I was shocked when I saw this after I got my van back. The previous shackle bolt was longer, with the excess threads extending away from the frame (toward the rear HVAC lines). The longer bolt must've repeatedly contacted the HVAC line highlighted in the picture, nearly wearing a hole through the metal. The SB "fix" appears to be a shorter bolt, with the install direction reversed so the bolt head is toward the exterior of the van and the nut is toward the frame. I'm a little upset that the dealer didn't inform me that there was damage, nor did they offer to replace the tubing piece. I only found it because I was replacing my shocks and specifically looked at the "fix". I guess I'll have to go talk to the dealer again, but I anticipate that they won't do anything for me since the rear HVAC system is not leaking.
Old February 20th, 2019, 1:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

While you're at it, you might want to address this fire hazard too.
https://gm.oemdtc.com/9245/product-s...ess-gmc-savana
Old February 20th, 2019, 2:10 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep. That was the primary reason I had it in the shop. There were 3 total, the SB that I mentioned, the fire hazard, and the power window switch.

I usually don't get too concerned about this stuff, but I wanted to share my experience to alert others.