Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Loose (wobbly) steering ONLY while in 4wd

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2019, 1:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Loose (wobbly) steering ONLY while in 4wd

Ok guys I have a 1999 silverado 5.3 4x4 with 2.5 roughcountry suspension lift. Two weeks ago we had a lil bit of snow so I took my truck out to drive around town. I started to notice whenever my truck was in 4auto or 4hi the steering was super loose (wobbly) and I would have to keep my hands on the wheel 24/7 otherwise the truck would dart to one side or the other. At first I thought it may have been the snow or ice ruts but I just confirmed yesterday (on dry ground) that it is still doing the same thing. Once I place it back in 2wd all the loose steering goes away and it drives fine. I've inspected my cv axels and the rest of the front end components. I still have yet to get the truck up in the air and start messing with stuff but I figure I might reach out here to find some answers.
Old February 20th, 2019, 2:04 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

could be tires not matching or gears not matching. what it sounds like is the rear is pushing the front just a little. not really saying i know this might be your problem but i would check those numbers out while youre waiting for someone to give a better answer
Old February 21st, 2019, 8:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

what kind of lift kit?...torsion bar keys?
did you have the truck aligned after the lift kit was installed? if the alignment is ok...its possible the lift kit has the cv axles angles cranked to high