Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Crunching noise over bumps, dips and driveways.

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2019, 10:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crunching noise over bumps, dips and driveways.

I have an ‘07 Tahoe that makes a crunching sound, mostly just after starting the engine, when I pull out of the driveway, go through dips and over bumps. I just replaced the motor mounts, which were bad, rear shocks, which only ones was leaking and the front end struts, which I was told were fine, but, decided to replace anyway thinking it might be the cause of the crunching. This did not fix the problem. A friend of mine suggested replacing the CV Joint, but most you tubers suggest replacing the CV axle versus just the joint. Based on your experience do you think it’s worth replacing or could there be some thing else wrong? I appreciate the feedback. Thank you.
Old February 20th, 2019, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

I have never seen replacement parts for a cv joint (other than a boot). if a cv joint is bad...replace the assembly. typically, cv joints click in turns or clunk on acceleration. bushings make crunch noises so check the control arm bushings.

maybe your referring to u-joints...they squeak when they go bad...and yes, I would replace only the u-joint...driveshafts are $

post a video of the noise occurring and maybe someone can id it.

Last edited by tech2; February 20th, 2019 at 11:20 PM.
Old February 20th, 2019, 11:33 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

before replacing the cv axles i would make sure the sound is coming from upfront. you can pull each front axle as theyre only bolted to the front differential and bolted to the front hub and dont have to worry about leaks. if it still makes the sound you know its not the cv
The following users liked this post:
94burb (April 12th, 2023)
Old February 21st, 2019, 1:12 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I'd be inclined to suspect a suspension bushing like control atm bushings like tech2 suggested or roll bar bushings.
Old February 21st, 2019, 8:15 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Irish_alley
before replacing the cv axles i would make sure the sound is coming from upfront. you can pull each front axle as theyre only bolted to the front differential and bolted to the front hub and dont have to worry about leaks. if it still makes the sound you know its not the cv
the axle shaft and hub nut tension the wheel bearing...any movement of the truck, even pushing the vehicle in a shop or driveway, with the axle shaft removed will damage the wheel bearings.
Old February 21st, 2019, 8:18 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

oh, did not know this good to know. will not be giving that advice again
Old February 21st, 2019, 8:24 AM
Super Moderator

a coworker, who was experienced technician, found this out the hard way.
Old April 12th, 2023, 7:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My crunching noise was a bad boot on lower ball joint. It went dry with debris but a shot of wd40 shut it right up until I had time to replace it. My cv axles only got replaced cause they clicked like crazy in 4wd when turning
Old April 13th, 2023, 11:57 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ta2dvet
I have an ‘07 Tahoe that makes a crunching sound, mostly just after starting the engine, when I pull out of the driveway, go through dips and over bumps. I just replaced the motor mounts, which were bad, rear shocks, which only ones was leaking and the front end struts, which I was told were fine, but, decided to replace anyway thinking it might be the cause of the crunching. This did not fix the problem. A friend of mine suggested replacing the CV Joint, but most you tubers suggest replacing the CV axle versus just the joint. Based on your experience do you think it’s worth replacing or could there be some thing else wrong? I appreciate the feedback. Thank you.
I'd say lower control arms. and yes, replace both.