Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Box Caps: Do I NEED a perfect fit?

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2019, 2:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Box Caps: Do I NEED a perfect fit?

I am planning on camping in my 2018 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 double cab standard box a lot this summer and am looking for a high top cap, such as the Leer 122. I've gotten quotes of $2.5-4k from Leer, SnugTop & A.R.E. dealers and it just feels a little too rough on the pocket to jump just yet. Can't find anything used that fits a 2014-2018 Silverado in New England.

Apologies if this is a stupid question and I just need to stop being a baby, but there is a lack of information online on the specific subject... maybe because it's a stupid question?

Scouring Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace and seeing all the totally decent used caps for 500 bucks has gotten me thinking. My question is: is it possible to use a similar-sized cap and somehow make it work? I rock a 78.8in box - and for example a '99-'02 standard box is 77.5... Maybe with a jerry-rigged double bulbed seal? I'm sure it won't look perfect if it can even be attempted, but I'm just trying to weigh out my options.

I'm pretty excited to camp in the truck. But the lady, though perfect in so many ways, is already not so keen on the idea of a $3000 "tent." Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on ways I could maybe save a few bucks on this pretty big investment for something the babe doesn't love and may drain all my bargaining chips for toys for the year.

Requirements:
- Extra high top
- Big window door that flips up like a Jeep rear window, and windows on both sides that can open
- We can't be directly rained on while we are sleeping
- The cap can't fly off when we drive on the highway

I would also accept very well-articulated pro-truck-camping arguments...

Thank you!

Last edited by JBeats; February 21st, 2019 at 2:19 AM.
Old February 26th, 2019, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If you can find something which you can gerry rig, you would probably just lose a little gas mileage, on an imperfectly fitting cap.
I just removed my cap, after 15 years, none of which, despite considerable caulking and retrofitting was totally weatherproof.
Upside is you and save up to 3MPG, with a cap, downside, rear visibility is poo.

If you want to be sure you have a firmly attached cap, drill and use eye-bolts and fender washers. An extra nut, at the base of the
eye secures the first fender washer. I was using huge fender washers, @ 1-1/2", over and under. The eye bolts are also handy for securing loads inside the cap.

Happy trails!
Old February 26th, 2019, 12:31 PM
CF Beginner

Hey, thank you so much therewolf! That is very helpful. Much appreciated!
Old February 27th, 2019, 6:59 PM
Super Moderator

And Welcome to the Chevy Forum! Be sure to take advantage of our huge archive. We have a few very special folks here,
who freely sacrifice their personal time, in order to forward and share TSBs, trouble codes, RPO Codes, proprietary mech/tech, and the like. Enjoy.
Old February 27th, 2019, 7:12 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks brother!

By "camping in my truck" I mean we are about to take off on a 6 month cross-country trip and live out of the truck... and will probably be roughing some pretty questionable terrain. You will be seeing me around a lot in the coming months.

Best,
JB
Old February 28th, 2019, 6:57 AM
Super Moderator

A few years ago, my wife and I finally took the "Great American Road Trip". Saw a lot of iconic famous sights out West.
The Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Lake Mead, The Petrified Forest, Devils Tower, Mount Rushmore, and The Alamo,
amongst others. 2 months on the road. A couple things which I found out the hard way:

1. Those "Scenic Routes" marked on maps, enhh, not so much. Mostly farmland and cow pastures. Take the Interstate to get where you are going, then the less beaten path, when you are near.
2. While it's surprisingly hard to find a Steakhouse in Beef Country, even the smallest of towns usually has a Subway, out West.
3. Fall and Winter start surprisingly early, like late August, high in the Rocky Mountains.
4. The emergency gear I used a lot was my tire patch kit, and mini compressor. Nails and screws in the tires. Had about half a
dozen slow flats. Keep a close eye on tire pressure, and engine oil.
5. It's great fun. Don't forget your fishing pole and binoculars. Have a good time.
Old February 28th, 2019, 9:58 AM
CF Beginner

1- Good to know!
2- Nooooo, the beef!
3- Good to know!
4- Ding ding ding, just added to the list!
5- You're talking to a chevy truck guy.... even the lady has her own setups