Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Electrical Help

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2019, 7:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Help

Hi all, I have a 2003 chevy 2500HD crew 4x4 LT. I'm having some electrical issues and would like to see if you think its a grounding issue or something else. Here's my issues over the last few months.
Drivers side headlight has blown twice, drivers side front running light once, seat heaters won't stay on (times vary from 1 sec. - 1 min.), digital display changes randomly at start-up and has even changed language.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
Old February 21st, 2019, 7:35 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

First I would check my battery and both battery cables for corrosion and looseness at both ends.
Old February 21st, 2019, 8:54 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
First I would check my battery and both battery cables for corrosion and looseness at both ends.
thanks, I know the battery end is good as I just had them off checking it a couple of weeks ago, but I'll try and check the other ends tonight.
Old February 28th, 2019, 7:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You need to level the playing field. The engine to ground strap on these models (I've got one) is crap. And it's wedged, inaccessibly, between the rear top of the engine, the tranny, and the firewall. Just leave it, it's useless.
Take a parts store negative cable (24" should do) with a standard connector on each end, and bolt the passenger side of the engine to an accessible connector on firewall. Then replace your Negative cable at the battery. Then replace your Positive cable to the
junction where it splits to go to the alternator and Starter. These cables are 16 years old, they are done. If you haven't switched to a top mount battery, this might be an optimum time to consider doing so. Or get cables a couple inches longer, so you can retrofit top mount battery terminals in the near future.

Last edited by therewolf; February 28th, 2019 at 7:36 AM.
Old February 28th, 2019, 7:52 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet, I've been out of town and its not my daily right now so its not a screaming priority. I will get on it this weekend.