Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

6.0l engine leaking antifreeze from driver side

Old March 13th, 2019, 7:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0l engine leaking antifreeze from driver side

hi my 06 express 2500 is leaking antifreeze from location in attached photo. Please help could it be coming out of this bolt?? Thanks in advance
Old March 13th, 2019, 7:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 551 Posts

Definitely not. That's an oil plug.

More likely, it's coming from a gasket -- where two parts of the engine block are joined -- and the coolant is seeping down. Get a squirt bottle of soapy water and clean the area really well, dry it, and then monitor it more closely. You can also buy fluorescent dyes to put in the coolant to help you find leaks.

Your van is 13 years old now, and it's not uncommon for intake gaskets to blow out.
Old March 15th, 2019, 6:57 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the input I wire brushed and washed the area. Going to watch for the leak. I visually inspected from under the hood and didn’t see any leak signs at intake. Going to take a closer look this weekend.

Thanks much!
Old March 15th, 2019, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

Ok so I did not use the van today it sat in my driveway. Looked under the truck and it is dripping antifreeze in the same location after cleaning the area last night. What would cause a loss of antifreeze due to gravity without running? Appreciate any ideas. Tx
Old March 15th, 2019, 6:35 PM
Super Moderator

The engine block is full of passage ways which are always full of coolant. It doesn't need to be running. There might have been residual pressure in the system. Or it was pooled up somewhere.

It could be the intake gaskets (not sure if your engine has both upper and lower), the head gaskets, the water pump. It could be leaky hoses dripping down onto the engine. There are engine block drain plugs (one right beside the one you pointed to on the diagram).

Old March 18th, 2019, 5:18 PM
CF Beginner

Ok so van sat for a couple of days. Ran the engine in the driveway doing some overall checking did not find any leaks on top engine areas. Drove the van for 15 miles yesterday came home no leaking. Checked just now truck has sat in driveway for 24 hours. See pics of leak as it is now.
Old March 18th, 2019, 5:32 PM
Super Moderator

Photos of drips and puddles aren't useful. The coolant is coming from outside the photo.

You need to find the highest point where it's wet.

I'm betting it's intake or head gasket.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; March 18th, 2019 at 5:50 PM.
Old March 18th, 2019, 5:39 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the advice much appreciated. I did look over the top of the engine this weekend. Removed air filter housing and hose to throttle body. Looked down at water pump and Dan shaft. No sign of dripping in the area. Removed the interior dog house and inspected intake and no leaks. Ran the engin for quite some time at idle and did not see a drop.
Mahbe next thing I need to do is add dye and pressurize the system.
Old March 18th, 2019, 5:40 PM
CF Beginner

The photo I took is the extent of the fluid stains visible. What else is in the area above other than the water pump? Totally stumped.
Old March 18th, 2019, 8:48 PM
Super Moderator

I think all the potential spots have been mentioned. I wouldn't do a pressure test because it could just make the problem worse.

Search this Thread