Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Loud growl passenger side when pressing gas

Old March 18th, 2019, 5:21 PM
CWC
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud growl passenger side when pressing gas

I've got a 2003 Tahoe that just hit 200k miles and is now making an intermittent loud growl on the right side. Happens after truck is nice and warm, 5-6 miles of warmup, and the growl is sporadic, not constant (video attached with the noise clearly audible). Took it to a local small shop who I've always trusted, but I'm not sure they got it right this time. They said initially they couldn't duplicate then called back and said I need to replace the exhaust system from the catalytic converter back (not including the converter, but everything from there back). $1750!! He's ordered the parts but I figured I'd check here and see if I can get a warm fuzzy on this. Thanks in advance!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
TahoeNoise.mov (3.35 MB, 34 views)
Old March 18th, 2019, 9:30 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the forum. That sounds like a lot of money for a couple of pieces of exhaust pipe.
Old March 19th, 2019, 11:34 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

i dont see what a cat-back system would do to cause a growl. i know cats can rumble or knock. almost sounds like they want to guess at what it could be, but 1750 for a cat back is up there, should be able to buy one yourself for under 400
Old March 19th, 2019, 5:33 PM
CWC
CF Beginner

I thought the same thing regarding the "take a guess". But the manager said "this is common in these trucks, we just had one in here a few weeks ago, same issue". Unfortunately I don't have much time to mess with this, so I'm going to bite the bullet and report back here on Sunday and let ya'll know if it fixed it or not. I got $100 on NO.
Old March 19th, 2019, 9:52 PM
I'm here for the party

theres a woman on here that had a shop tell her its common for the master cylinder to go bad and suck brake fluid into the intake and they just did 3 other chevys for the same problem. "google" the issue and see how common it is. i would try to rev the engine in park and see if it does it. also trry to things different like change gears or put it in 4wd
Old March 20th, 2019, 3:20 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Exhaust noise

Originally Posted by CWC
I've got a 2003 Tahoe that just hit 200k miles and is now making an intermittent loud growl on the right side. Happens after truck is nice and warm, 5-6 miles of warmup, and the growl is sporadic, not constant (video attached with the noise clearly audible). Took it to a local small shop who I've always trusted, but I'm not sure they got it right this time. They said initially they couldn't duplicate then called back and said I need to replace the exhaust system from the catalytic converter back (not including the converter, but everything from there back). $1750!! He's ordered the parts but I figured I'd check here and see if I can get a warm fuzzy on this. Thanks in advance!
My '01 Suburban (with stainless steel exhaust) had a similar noise. Turns out the heat shield around the muffler had came loose in a spot or two. I simply wrapped some tie wire around it in a couple places to get it back in position and the problem was fixed. That was years ago, and it didn't cost me a dime. What had happened is a couple small tack welds had broken free. They could have been re-welded easy enough but the tie wire was just too convenient. Hopefully this will solve your problem.

Last edited by subfan597; March 20th, 2019 at 3:27 PM. Reason: add info
Old March 21st, 2019, 10:11 AM
I'm here for the party

to go with what sub said, my 04 imp had the same issue. but when it busted loose it took some of the resonator with it. apparently the gap was small enough to let dirt and crap sit on top of the resonator and let it rust out.
Old March 24th, 2019, 10:24 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same thing happen with my 2002 Tahoe. I located a large clamp around the muffler and the problem was solved. It's been good for years.
Old March 26th, 2019, 4:30 PM
CWC
CF Beginner

Although I'm sure I could have paid less for the fix, they kept my trust another day. I was very skeptical after everything I've read, research I've done and people I've talked to about what the truck was doing. But I picked it up from the shop and it's fixed, and about $400 less than they quoted me. Would have never thought that noise was from the exhaust.
Old March 27th, 2019, 5:46 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Unexpected noise sources and fixes.

Originally Posted by CWC
Although I'm sure I could have paid less for the fix, they kept my trust another day. I was very skeptical after everything I've read, research I've done and people I've talked to about what the truck was doing. But I picked it up from the shop and it's fixed, and about $400 less than they quoted me. Would have never thought that noise was from the exhaust.
I would never have guessed that a can of WD40 would have saved me hundreds on an upper intermediate steering shaft and any other work that I was misguidedly told that I needed to have done to keep my suspension from falling apart...but it did. That was years ago, also didn't cost me anything, and the vehicle is vibration and trouble-free to this day. In case you experience vibrating through your steering wheel when turning or going over even a minor rough patch, look under your dash at your steering shaft. The underside of my dash looked clean as new...except for the yoke where the steering column connected to the upper intermediate steering shaft. There was so much dust that it looked like a Chia Pet. I figured that it had been lubed and just attracted the dirt over the years. I cleaned and sprayed that with WD40. I also noticed where the steering shaft went through the fire wall that there was a bit of rust (cold outside, warm inside, or just the opposite causing condensation and rust). I sprayed that as well and went for a ride. All the vibration and noise was gone and has yet to return after several years. Trouble is, I lubed two spots at once instead of one so I'm not sure which did the trick. It could have been both, but should you encounter this dilemma, just spray the steering yoke only, then take it for a spin. If that doesn't do it, then spray the rusty area on the shaft. Useful website, ain't it?

Search this Thread