Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

1990 radio speakers grounds???

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2019, 6:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 radio speakers grounds???

Radio works but speakers aren't putting out accurate sound. I got one speaker to work but when I put the car in park it stopped working. Which grounds do I need to trace. i have taken out the dash and messed with the speaker wires but not sure where the grounds are.
Old March 19th, 2019, 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default radio speakers - grounds?

Brandon,

I'm not an expert...... but I do know that some cars have a radio system which does not use the chassis ground as the ground for the radio output(s).

I would research the owner's manual, first. I remember that in some 1980s Buicks that I had, there was a warning and explanation as regards electronic equipment, both what the car came with... and possible aftermarket additional equipment.

I would try to get a wiring diagram for your car. Then, go into the trunk and try to determine the color(s) of the wires that are attached to the rear speakers. Write these down.... on one side of the paper for the Left side of the car... and on the other side of the paper, write the wire colors at the right side speaker. You might be able to follow the wiring diagram with this information.

But, maybe more importantly, you need to find out whether your car radio uses a "chassis ground"... or a "floating ground".

That's as much as I can provide --- good luck.

Last edited by Maynard G. Krebs; March 19th, 2019 at 8:03 PM.
Old March 20th, 2019, 1:56 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

They use 2 wires from the radio to each speaker. So they don't use the chassis ground for the speakers. This is a typical wire layout for radios

.EIA Electronic Industries Association Color Coded

Yellow12 Volt memory
Red12 volt ignition
Orange dash light illumination
Black radio chassis ground
Blue power antenna
White left front +
White/Blk left front -
Green left rear +
Green/Blk left rear -
Gray right front +
Gray/Blk right front -
Violet right rear +
Violet/Blk right rear -

Last edited by oldchevy; March 20th, 2019 at 1:59 PM.
Old March 21st, 2019, 9:59 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

i every 88-98 ive been in has had issues with the stock speakers. not saying theyre bad but i think its more of a poor connection to the speaker
Old March 21st, 2019, 11:07 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

They used to use cheap speakers with paper cones which didn't last very long. the cones cracked causing them to make rattling sounds. My 2013 has better speakers in it and so far they are still good.
Old March 23rd, 2019, 4:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default re: OEM radio speakers

I, too, have had scratchy noise problems with OEM speakers in the 1980s GM vehicles that I have owned.... but especially noticing that every time, it's the right side speaker... and usually the rear one.

So, I've wondered if maybe the capacitor for the right side of the vehicle, inside the generic GM AM-FM radio, usually "went bad" due to heat from some nearby electronic part inside the radio... like a resistor, or something else that generates heat.

I do readily understand that, all things being equal, that it's more likely or more reasonable to suspect the speakers... in a 30-year-old car.. than "internal electronics".

But, I can't believe that it's coincidence that in both of my '89 Caprices, that it's always been the right side speaker... that goes bad.

Last edited by Maynard G. Krebs; March 23rd, 2019 at 4:40 PM. Reason: clarification
Old March 23rd, 2019, 4:51 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Finger nail polish on the paper, if it sputters, probably have a cut.