Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2011 Silverado Towing Question

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2019, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Silverado Towing Question

I have a 2011 silverado SL it is outfitted with the towing package or at least the following:
over sized radiator
tow hitch
wiring
tow button on shift lever
over sized rear brake shoes and drums
322 geared rear diff
4.8L engine
auto trans
traction control
2wd
and more but that pretty much outlines the tow aspects of the truck.
Here is my question,
the weight of the truck is 5500LB on the label, the said tow weight is 4500Lb max. totaling out at 10,000lb.
I tow a 20ft forest river travel trailer dry weight is 3900 or there about.
While driving in tow mode on flat ground it does OK around 65mph. Get into foot hills and things go south, the truck kicks out of overdrive and down to regular drive then more elevated ground will cause it to kick into passing gear. This will get irritating real fast as well as drink some fuel fast. I went on a 1600 mile round trip and spent damned near 650.00 on fuel from Center North Carolina down to New Orleans and back, mostly flat land further south of course. I could have flown for that cost. Anyway I was thinking of changing out the differential from 322 ratio gears to either a 410 ratio or 411 ratio. If I do so what are the pro's and cons of such a move? The 322 ratio is a great traveling ratio the truck itself, but with the trailer not so much.

Any feedback would be appreciated. sorry bout the size of the pic, I'm not very good at this computer stuff... LOL

Old March 19th, 2019, 10:12 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

imo im not sure i would try to really tow with anything below 373. with an OD trans i think it will be ok as far as mpgs go, and you get some grunt to go up the hills