Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tuner Option - Blackbear vs Diablew Tune

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2019, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuner Option - Blackbear vs Diablew Tune

Good day all -

Lurker here, had a 02 Tahoe 5.3 for about 4 years and been more than happy with it. We are buying a travel camper so I upgraded to a '04 Suburban 2500 with the 6.0 motor in it. I want to make sure that I won't have any issues towing my camper in the mountains or wherever our travels take me so I want to add a tune.

I had no modifications to the truck right now and am contemplating my options. The Diablew seems attractive because I get the tune with the infinity t2 scanner which I can keep an eye on the logistics of the truck. Lew seems to come highly recommended on the silverado forums and frankly whenever a tuner search is put into google. Blackbear is another one that keeps getting recommended to me which would come a tad a cheaper with a single tune. My only issue with blackbear is that I won't have the option to switch between a fuels saver mode an a tow mode which it seems I will be able to do with the Diablew tuner.

The last thing I want to throw out there is I don't really see anyone posting up any numbers before and after their tunes to show any increases. Is there any evidence besides seat of the pants feeling?

Thanks for taking the time to read this!
Old March 26th, 2019, 5:53 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The main benefit of a tune is not raw horsepower increases, but improvements in driveability - throttle response, firmer shifts, reducing torque management, etc. And, in my case, removing the pesky speed governor.

I have a Blackbear tune on my 2008 2500. I have two tunes loaded, and I use the tow/haul button to switch between them.

Again, I doubt the truck is putting out much more power, but by reducing the amount of torque management, the truck feels much more responsive.

And if you just want to keep on eye on your truck's parameters, you can buy a $10 bluetooth OBD2 transmitter/interface off Amazon, pay $5 for the torquepro app on your phone, and you'll be able to see a gazillion stats/real-time numbers.

I did have a hot tune on my old Suburban, for 91 octane gas, to try to wring a little more power out of it, but that's about the most you'll get regarding power increases.