Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

anti freeze

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2019, 8:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anti freeze

went to jiffy lube provided my own coolant because they didnt have dex cool my van uses 12 quarts 3 gallons but only took 6 quarts question why only 6
Old April 18th, 2019, 11:29 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

did you supply them with straight coolant or premix?
Old April 18th, 2019, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

It would help if you told us what we're talking about. Year, engine size, rear heat etc.

Did you drain everything? Engine block, radiator, heater core(s)...
Old April 18th, 2019, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default 12 quarts

Originally Posted by Irish_alley
did you supply them with straight coolant or premix?
5050 mix
Old April 18th, 2019, 2:25 PM
CF Beginner

2016 Chevy express 4.8 liter no rear heat this is a cargo van they said they drained it empty flushed with water and refilled 50/50 mix only would take 6 quarts should have went to GM to long a wait so i went to jiffy lube instead i purchased DEX COOL told them to use it instead of the green stuff
Old April 18th, 2019, 3:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

I'm going to say that they are simply incompetent. You can get a job at jiffy lube with little to no training or experience.

They likely just filled up the radiator, and because the thermostat was shut (it's on the rad return line), nothing got into the engine. There is a particular fill procedure for your van.

My advice is to get your money back and go to a proper mechanic who knows what he's doing. And stay away from the quick-lube places in the future. You may think you're saving a quick buck, but it will cost you in the end.
Old April 18th, 2019, 8:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

- if you flush with water...you should be adding concentrated coolant...or the 50/50 mix will dilute more. check your concentration/freeze point. if your concentration is less than 50% they flushed with water...if its 50% they dropped a hose, and refilled without flushing.

-if you drop a rad hose or water pump hose...you get 6 - 8 quarts out.

whats important here is
you coolant is at the correct freeze level
that enuf of the coolant is changed to inhibit corrosion and its not to acidic and wrecks gaskets/components.

Last edited by tech2; April 18th, 2019 at 8:35 PM.
Old April 18th, 2019, 8:44 PM
CF Beginner

to get all coolant out they must remove bottom radiator hose . because tomorrow i,m going to go back and tell them they need to refund my money back because they did half the job
Old April 18th, 2019, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

nope...dropping the lower rad hose gets 6-8 quarts...the only way to get close to everything out is with a flush machine or water flush till it runs clear...let it drain out and fill half the system capacity with concentrated coolant.

-it hard to get everything out without pulling the block drains and this is not worth the effort.
-tap water as a diluent reduces the rust inhibitors effectiveness
Old April 19th, 2019, 7:16 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This thread just had to pop up. I went for an oil change today. $122.

I somewhat bumped the attendant off his routine because I started no. Don't want the sticker, don't want you to check my light, don't want you to check my air filter, don't want you to check my tires... I know where that stuff is at and I was a bit washed out. He put windshield fluid in, which I almost told him not to bother, but at times they've used good stuff so.. I let it go. Then he got all eager to please me. He told me wanted to add some coolant. I know it could use a touch so I was like.. ah... whatever. Then I threw him off when I said do not put anything in there unless its the same stuff. He repeated the name of it so I was like Ok fine. He goes to grab his container, it's empty. Don't worry about I said. Then a light bulb goes off in his head, I got some. He runs to the next bay comes back and he's pouring some green **** in there... really diluted... and I thought... I could yell at him stop, but I am just tired fighting the world and I am washed out. If you knew the things I posted elsewhere and WHERE you might understand. Anyways, I left there grumbling about that hoping it's either not the wrong stuff completely or that it was so diluted and he added so little it will not do any harm.

I do not know if there was a mistake or not on that, but sometimes it's every turn someone is @#$%'ing something up. It's exhausting.