Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

14 Suburban Radiator Leak

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2019, 11:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14 Suburban Radiator Leak

Radiator leak on our 2014 Suburban with 102k miles. What seemed odd is that it was still dripping after sitting for 3 days and not any time before. Hoses were clean but I could not see into the radiator/hose connections. I didn't have enough time to dig further and won't be able to look for several days.

I tried to search and the only thing I came across was someone mentioning that their radiator may be under too much pressure? Are these radiators known to leak?
Old April 22nd, 2019, 5:05 PM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

If you have a good and correct radiator cap on the truck, it will not build up too much pressure. How much coolant are you loosing?
Old April 23rd, 2019, 6:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't figured out how much loss yet. After 3 days parked on our driveway, it left a mark of about 3 dinner plates and was still dripping.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 8:15 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts

If still dripping, you should be able to confirm leak is in radiator and not hose related. All radiators leak sooner or later, ours on 2005 Yukon exploded the driver side plastic side last year at 200K.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 7:36 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

I would check for a cracked end tank on the radiator. Not sure who thought it would be a good idea to make radiators with plastic parts. The end tanks can be replaced however but I don't know how that cost compares to replacing the entire radiator. One of the end tanks on my 87 IROC Z cracked when it was about 10 years old.
Old April 24th, 2019, 8:57 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts

"If" I was going to have a radiator shop repair my radiator, I'd get ALL the plastic parts replaced, as other side could be weak as well.

I got a new radiator my my 2005 Yukon at Autozone in a small town last year, installed readily by me, after the driver side plastic end exploded. Recent information reveals that Yukon may have had a small leak in the firewall quick-connect fitting or the water pump, and leakage could've caused the Yukon to run hotter than optimum.