Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

oil pump pickup screen

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2019, 6:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pump pickup screen

Hi everyone.
I'm getting frustrated and need your help.
I have a 92 silverado k1500 with a 5.7. I'm putting a new oil pump in it and having trouble getting the oil screen where it should be. I've been told that it should be 3/8 to 1/2" from the bottom of the pan. I've installed 2 screens so far and both have been high. This last one will be 1" high if I leave it that way. I've measured the depth of the pan and subtracted 3/8" from that. Installed the pump and measured from the block where the pan bolts on down to the distance I got after subtracting 3/8", marked the tube and pump, installed the screen into the pump to where the marks still line up with the screen tube clear in. Did all that with no gasket on the pan. Put the pump on the block and checked distance from screen to bottom of pan by taping different size bars to the bottom of the screen and put some grease on it so I could tell if they were touching. Went clear to 7/8" before it touched. Plus, when I put the gasket on it will end up being close to 1".
I don't know how deep the oil is in a 4 quart pan don't know if the screen will be submerged when going up or down hill's so I don't pick up air or not.
Don't know what I'm doing wrong.

What do you guys think?
Old May 17th, 2019, 8:16 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Put it together, and stop dic*ing with it. My thoughts
Old May 20th, 2019, 9:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Kevin for the advise.
I talked to Milling and they said that it needed to be 3/8" to 1/2" off of the bottom of the pan. So I got another screen and this time I got it in the right place.
Appreciate the help.