Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

AirBag Light B0022 Code

Old May 19th, 2019, 7:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AirBag Light B0022 Code

Hi, having issues with my 2002 Silverado 1500 Z71 getting seat belt icon light on (solid not blinking) with code B0022

Clockspring: no measurable resistance even checked the two wires individually (with spring at connector by brake pedal disengaged).
Airbag: no measurable resistance
15A Fuse on left side of the dash is good.
I have yet to find any other relevant fuse or relay.

I am tempted to rule out the module under the drivers side seat (forget the proper name), or the connectors on the seats or the crash sensors under radiator and here is why:
This started immediately after replacing the ignition switch (well checking it--was getting intermittent start--turned out to be the signal wire to the starter seloniod being shorted out). Yes, the system was de-energized.

I dont know what else to do...healp!

Here is the code description
And here is a decent write up regarding several B codes
Old May 21st, 2019, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

Well, this is embarrassing... after taking apart the connector that goes into the airbag and pushing the two pins forward with a piece of ziptie and reassembled, the light would turn off for a bit then come back on when I drove it.

I started looking closer to how it plugged into the airbag and eventually discovered that I had to take the flapper/lock thing out and the connector went into the airbag securely... #facepalm

All is not lost though, I learned a few things (aside from the nagging suspicion that I have a brain tumor):
The "steering wheel module" is actually the airbag (ffs just call it a airbag)

B0022: "DTC B0022-stage 1 or B0042-stage 2 will set when the steering wheel module deployment loop resistance is less than 1.3 ohms for 500 milliseconds." is not the only condition for the code! It is also high resistance. If I recall correctly it if reads 4-5ohm after 500milliseconds the same code will display (B0022).
If someone has access to the AllData post it here I only found this out by going to a mechanic friend.

This 1.3ohm resistance condition really threw me for a loop; if I had known that the code also applied to an open circuit that would have helped immensely.
Old May 21st, 2019, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

air bags should never be ohmed...putting voltage to an airbag circuit could trigger a deployment. I have tested this when disposing of old air bags and pretensioners...none deployed with the ohm meter for me but its not recommended by any manufacturer.

dealers check the circuit by substituting a load tool. the load tool has same resistance as the airbag....so you plug the load tool in place of the airbag...if the fault goes stored...replace the airbag....if the fault is still present....move back to the next connector and plug in there...get going back until the fault is gone. this isolates the fault location.
Old May 21st, 2019, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

if your testing leads to a faulty airbag....if you go for a junkyard part....make sure your build isn't under the takada airbag recall....you don't want to put a recalled part.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 7:39 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
if your testing leads to a faulty airbag....if you go for a junkyard part....make sure your build isn't under the takada airbag recall....you don't want to put a recalled part.
Noted, there are no recalls for airbags for my year/model
Old May 22nd, 2019, 7:44 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
air bags should never be ohmed...putting voltage to an airbag circuit could trigger a deployment. I have tested this when disposing of old air bags and pretensioners...none deployed with the ohm meter for me but its not recommended by any manufacturer.

dealers check the circuit by substituting a load tool. the load tool has same resistance as the airbag....so you plug the load tool in place of the airbag...if the fault goes stored...replace the airbag....if the fault is still present....move back to the next connector and plug in there...get going back until the fault is gone. this isolates the fault location.
You are absolutely right, I did the test fully aware of the risk. I dont know what tolances the airbags actually have, but I have never had an issue testing this way.

All the diatribe about working on airbags and how dangerous it is seems like a scheme for dealer****s to make absurd money in my opinion.

If anyone wants to check their airbag like I did, be careful and dont blame me or this forum.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 8:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Synaux
All the diatribe about working on airbags and how dangerous it is seems like a scheme for dealer****s to make absurd money in my opinion.
the labour rates are the same for airbags as any other system.

The precautions are there for a reason. If these deploy next to your face or you have it in your hand when it deploys, you could be severely injured or killed.

Search this Thread