Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Broken Lug Nuts

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2019, 5:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Lug Nuts

My mechanic and I are at our wits end. I have replaced the passenger front wheel hub assembly 4 times over the last 5 months because the studs keep snapping. My car is a 2007 Malibu. You have to replace the whole assembly for it is too tight to press the snapped studs out and replace. Help!!!!
Old May 20th, 2019, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

hard to say without seeing it. aftermarket rims?

if it is happening on the same wheel each time...inspect the rim stud holes for out of round wear....if none, move that rim to the other side and see if the stud breaking follows the rim.
Old May 21st, 2019, 7:14 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

The center hole in the rim might be too big putting extra stress on the lug studs. Is the rim original to the car?
Old May 21st, 2019, 12:43 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
The center hole in the rim might be too big putting extra stress on the lug studs. Is the rim original to the car?
Yes they are original rims. The rims were switched from front to back and it still happened again. I am on my 5th wheel bearing housing in 7 months same axel. I shop as we speak. Mechanic at loss....
Old June 12th, 2019, 8:59 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up

That is wild!! I found this if its not still covered by manufactures warranty and trying to beat the dealers prices. https://www.genuineoemgmparts.com/oe...ItMmwtbDQtZ2Fz