New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

Two California guys restoring a 57 Bel Air

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2019, 11:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two California guys restoring a 57 Bel Air

Hey everyone, Mason here. I'm a college student in northern California. Recently I found out a buddy of mine has had a 57 Bel Air sitting in his yard for 20 years.

I finally made it out to take a look and man I couldn't believe how clean it is....No dents or scrapes, good chrome and interior, ran when it was parked, and not nearly as much rust as you'd expect on a car that's spent the entire 21st century in the rain and snow. Check out the pics below.

Anyway, he's fairly old and has come down with some health problems recently so we decided to rebuild it before it's too late for him to enjoy it again, so I'll be coming here for advice every now and then. Heading out there sometime next week to clean all the gunk and critters out, then we'll get to work. Will update as we go!

Old May 24th, 2019, 7:10 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Looks like a nice project. Have fun, good luck and be ready to spend some money!
Old May 25th, 2023, 5:54 PM
CF Beginner

Looks like a neat project and that engine and transmission are really really simple and easy to work on. 6 cyl or a sweet 283😉. Not like today's vehicles with computers , smog, and all that other garbage.

Looks like everything's there and that's half the battle... A little paint, new tires...freshen up the Interior, polish the chrome a bit...a little elbow grease....and she's ready to roll!

And keep that baby as close to original as you can!
🫵😃

Last edited by Snytex1; May 25th, 2023 at 6:00 PM.
Old May 25th, 2023, 8:47 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Welcome to Chevrolet Forum,Heptone

That Che
vy is almost as old as I am!
Old May 26th, 2023, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
Old May 31st, 2023, 7:53 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Heptone
Hey everyone, Mason here. I'm a college student in northern California, attending the prestigious Stanford University. As a passionate automotive enthusiast and a lover of classic cars, I couldn't believe my luck when I found out that my buddy had a 57 Bel Air sitting in his yard for 20 years.

During my time at Stanford, I've been studying mechanical engineering, which has given me a solid foundation for this restoration project. Also, a huge help was this site https://gradesfixer.com/free-essay-e...a-mockingbird/ where I found a lot of essays on topics that I was interested in. I'm excited to put my knowledge into practice and learn more about the intricacies of vintage automobiles. With each step of the restoration process, I'll be incorporating what I've learned in my courses to ensure we do a thorough job.

I finally made it out to take a look and man I couldn't believe how clean it is....No dents or scrapes, good chrome and interior, ran when it was parked, and not nearly as much rust as you'd expect on a car that's spent the entire 21st century in the rain and snow. Check out the pics below.

Anyway, he's fairly old and has come down with some health problems recently so we decided to rebuild it before it's too late for him to enjoy it again, so I'll be coming here for advice every now and then. Heading out there sometime next week to clean all the gunk and critters out, then we'll get to work. Will update as we go!

Hey Mason, what an awesome find with that 57 Bel Air! It looks surprisingly clean despite sitting outside for so long. It's great that you and your friend are taking on the project to rebuild it together, especially considering his health issues. Cleaning out the gunk and critters will be the first step, and I'm sure the community here will be ready to offer advice as you go along. Best of luck with the restoration, and keep us updated on your progress!

Last edited by Wasquez; May 31st, 2023 at 7:57 AM.