Notices
Classic Trucks (Prior to 1987) Section for all discussion related to the Classic Chevrolet and GMC trucks prior to 1987.

Chevrolet C10 pick up advice

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2019, 1:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevrolet C10 pick up advice

Hi all
I am looking to purchase a 1986 Chevy C10 pickup 305 V8.
Rock Auto list an Engine Control Module and PROM, yet it has a carburettor and mechanical fuel pump.
I can't see how that can work - can someone explain please?
Thanks!
Cheers
Old June 15th, 2019, 2:19 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

some trucks came out with them in 86. think it was more of a truck made in mid to late 86 but being listed at the dealers as a 87. but when you look up the vin you will see it was made in 86
Old June 15th, 2019, 2:36 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Irish Alley
Thanks for your reply - I understand that about the 86 being listed as an 87. That makes sense.
I'm still confused as to why it has listed ECM / Engine Control Module and PROM, whereas it also lists a regular carburettor and a mechanical fuel pump - surely these don't go together? Wondering if someone can explain, please?
Thanks!!
Old June 15th, 2019, 2:54 PM
I'm here for the party

im not sure if im following you completely but the earlier 86s would of came with a carb while the later ones would of come with a ecm and prom
Old June 15th, 2019, 4:01 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Irish Alley
That now makes sense, so Rock have listed the ECM for 1986 incorrectly, or for the later model, end of 1986, and the model I am looking at likely has no ECM and prom, but will have a carb.
So that makes me more likely to buy it!!
Are you familiar with the C10? It is a long wheel base Custom Deluxe (I believe that is the base model).
If you know of any known faults, that would be handy to know. I know it is smoking a little, but it has had an Edelbrook carb fitted, and the seller thinks it might need to be adjusted? Also it has not been driven for quite a while. So it may well cure itself with being driven.
Any info much appreciated.
Thanks!!!
Old June 16th, 2019, 7:31 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

What color is the smoke? Black or white?
Old June 16th, 2019, 1:57 PM
I'm here for the party

Areas to look at when buying a 73-87 Truck

smoke color is important in trying to figure out what its doing, the smoke could also have a bluish tint to it

i wrote this up on another web forum, thats more dedicated to the squares. but dont think you wont get any help on here as you can see Oldchevy is ready to help along with oilcanHenry and a few others. but i believe i hit on a few common questions in the post
Welcome to the community
Old June 16th, 2019, 5:03 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks so much for all your help, people.

Unfortunately we haven't seen the truck, it is about 300 miles away, and it isn't an easy journey!!

We have been relying on information given by the truck owner, and he doesn't seem too sure, but has given the impression that it hasn't been used and would probably clear if it was given a run.

So we dont' know what colour the smoke is - just that it is smoking a little (whatever a little is), it takes a while to warm up and it sometimes splutters and switches off when put into drive from neutral.

So I'm thinking we might give this truck a miss, and look for another one. Though it does look nice.
Old June 17th, 2019, 2:15 AM
I'm here for the party

if the price was right but 300 miles is a little distance to travel. unless the price was too good to pass up lol. keep on looking