New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

Introducing myself to the community.

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2019, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introducing myself to the community.

Hello all,

My names Alex and I just registered. Ive had classic Amc's and fords however I just got my first classic chevy today. I'd like to ask where in the forum would be the best to get help for my '57 Chevrolet 4400 1.5 ton truck. It has a (stovebolt ?) Chevy six in it, was told it might be a 250 or something. Thanks!
Old June 16th, 2019, 6:47 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by RamblinMan65
Hello all,

My names Alex and I just registered. Ive had classic Amc's and fords however I just got my first classic chevy today. I'd like to ask where in the forum would be the best to get help for my '57 Chevrolet 4400 1.5 ton truck. It has a (stovebolt ?) Chevy six in it, was told it might be a 250 or something. Thanks!
Yeah its a 250 I-6. Starter on the right-side of the floor, opposite of the high beam floor switch. Not sure why they call them stove-bolts. I always thought that meant it was a Flathead but its not.It came with a one or two barrel Rochester carburetor.
Old June 16th, 2019, 9:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Yeah its a 250 I-6. Starter on the right-side of the floor, opposite of the high beam floor switch. Not sure why they call them stove-bolts. I always thought that meant it was a Flathead but its not.It came with a one or two barrel Rochester carburetor.
It does indeed have the starter on the passenger side with a single barrel rochester. Thanks
Old June 16th, 2019, 1:15 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

They called it the stovebolt 6 because they used ¼”x 20 slotted bolts on various engine components. These bolts were the same bolts they used on cast iron wood burning stoves.
Old June 17th, 2019, 10:51 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchevy
They called it the stovebolt 6 because they used ¼”x 20 slotted bolts on various engine components. These bolts were the same bolts they used on cast iron wood burning stoves.

You do know your old Chevy's!!!
Old June 18th, 2019, 7:20 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Love them old Chevy's.