Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Front end noise

Old June 18th, 2019, 4:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end noise

So, a quick recap. Just got new wheel bearings put on the vehicle. I am having a really weird sounding squeaky wheel kinda noise that I can hear and feel inside the vehicle. After wheel bearings, I grabbed new tires to resolve my wheel wobble which is great. Now, I just need this squeaking/clunk noise gone. I am very suspicious of this because i can audibly hear it when driving outside, but my mechanic has not warned me of anything.Could this be a tie rod or a rack and pinion issue or maybe even front shocks.

2007 chevy suburban ltz

Past 2 months updates
New set of wheels
Wheel Bearings
Strut Bar Bushings
A/C Recharge

Still needs
Rear Air shocks and compressor
Front Shocks(possibly
Oil Pressure Sensor
TPMS Sensors
Reverse notification sensor(Someone bumped me and ran while i was in best buy)
Old June 19th, 2019, 12:56 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Check the sway bar end links. The bushings tend to disintegrate and fall off. If you have a lot of rust, the bolts and nuts can break off as well.

Could be struts. But something would have to be seriously broken for them to clunk and squeak. Could be the rubber cone up top is bad. I doubt it as I've rebuilt some at 300,000 miles and they were still new looking.

Tie rod ends, steering components are also a possibility.
Old June 19th, 2019, 3:09 PM
CF Beginner

I think I am gonna start with the strugs. I notice when pushing on the front end, it makes a noise when weight is applied. I think there are multiple issues i am facing.
Old June 19th, 2019, 3:42 PM
CF Senior Member

I just put Arnott struts on mine. They come with a resistor kit so you won't get alerts on your dash. I did the cheaper option which requires reusing your springs and other components. If I was to do it again, I'd have spent the extra money and gone with their fully assembled struts.

Mine were original had had almost 300,000 miles. The driver side had leaked badly while the passenger side wasn't as bad. The ride is much better now.
Old June 20th, 2019, 6:41 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

I had a similar problem several years ago. I also thought it was a wheel bearing but it was not. Turned out to be the center bearing in the driveshaft. If you have a 2 piece driveshaft, check that center bearing.
Old June 20th, 2019, 8:11 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by KChevy75
I just put Arnott struts on mine. They come with a resistor kit so you won't get alerts on your dash. I did the cheaper option which requires reusing your springs and other components. If I was to do it again, I'd have spent the extra money and gone with their fully assembled struts.

Mine were original had had almost 300,000 miles. The driver side had leaked badly while the passenger side wasn't as bad. The ride is much better now.
This is exactly my problem i believe. I took it to the shop yesterday to get the brakes done, come to find out, upper control arm ball joints are done, and struts are done as well. at this point, im gonna have an entirely new suspension soon. smh. only 217k miles.
Old June 20th, 2019, 8:11 AM
CF Beginner

I am not sure if its that. i feel it in the front area of the truck when I drive. I can feel it when the wheels start turning, its like a low audible creaking noise. really weird.
Old June 21st, 2019, 12:11 AM
CF Senior Member

If it's when turning, bad ball joints possibly. The uppers are are a permanent part of the upper control arms so the upper control arms need to be replaced.

The lower ball joints can be removed and replaced without removing the control arms.

It's been a long time since I did mine but it was probably around the 75,000 mile range. This made a huge improvement in the steering. Before, it was very sloppy. After, it was nice and tight. I also did all the bushings not too long after.
Old June 21st, 2019, 1:20 AM
CF Senior Member

It could also be a torn sway bar mount: https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...t-frame-80338/

Last edited by KChevy75; June 21st, 2019 at 1:31 AM.

Search this Thread