Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Bulkheads - I think I figured out Plan #3

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2019, 5:28 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bulkheads - I think I figured out Plan #3

Several years ago, I cut a nice 3/4 sheet of plywood just for the perfect fit behind the seats, painted it flat black and it was great. I had protection from razor sharp tools and other items from flying forward an impaling themselves into the occupants. The A/C worked better, the Heat worked Better, the Dust Control worked better, but there were things I didn't like.

I immediately missed walking from the front to the back. When I realised just how much I like reclining my seat I started having to re-engineer. I came up with so many ideas. I could build one sloped, I could simply move it back the required amount of inches, etc. At the last iteration, I was going to move it back considerably for personal items. You know when you go shopping, or you want to bring extra things, you need trunk space. I was going to build trunk space in. Then thinking of bed one day, I thought why not move it back enough to fit a tiny bed? Maybe have it right in line with the jambs of the two rear doors, where they meet. The front rear door will open to the trunk/bed area of the cab, and the rear rear door will open to the cargo/tool/material area.

Well, I didn't by the smallest inflatable bed at 39" because even a double is a smaller bed than I am used to. I bought a double. Laying abreast, tucked up against the driver's/passenger's seats, the bed stops right at the hinge of the rear-rear doors. Laying there taking another nap today, totally enthralled with the idea that I can drive anywhere anytime and just take a snooze in peace and quiet..., so impressed, I started thinking... why not just put the bulkhead all the way back here, put in shelves, store the tools in shelves and have full time dual purpose? It solves most problems. I want a bulkhead. Check. I want to be able to throw a bed in the back or store personal items from shopping in a dust free normal environment. Check. I want to still be able to throw 8, 9 and 10 sheets in. Check.

I can do it all. Especially not working for someone the way I was. When I bought the truck I had not idea of what job I would be on at 9:00am any given day, nor what tools I would require. To be the best I could, to stay above all the competition, to be able to demand, I had to be able to perform. That's why I am so fussy with my ideas towards how the truck is set up. I wanted to be able to handle any job, at any time, as fast, as efficient, as easily as possible. I was the highest paid guy and they were telling I was coming in cheaper and doing a better job than all the others routinely. That is until everything became political and the knives cames. I hate office politics. Leave the bitches at home (sorry). Working for myself and barely working, these are non-issues. I have all the time in the world to sort my needs. The only thing I need these days is drive and determination.

Anyways, so that's what I am thinking of doing... moving the bulkhead to the back of the threshold on the rear-doors, or mid-doors, or whatever you want to call them. Rear-Side Doors. A bulk head there, a console the same high as the seat cushions and it's all one level. If the console is soft it would be easy to crawl through to the back.

By the way, I can still hold sheets. Just deflate the bed, tuck it out of the way, slide the sheets up the center, standing on their long edge. I already have the floor raised and I left a 20" channel in the middle for this purpose. I will just leave an opening in the bulkhead to match. If it anymore than seven or eight sheets, fifteen maximum, I just have it delivered anyways. Why I would I want to pack all that and then some, plus tools, installation, finishing, it's not worth it.

So that's my current thinking. I should probably also drop the bs with the amplifiers and radio. Just be happy with it. When I come across a deal, I'll add the right amp. I do not like the idea, but they probably could be fitted inside somewhere.
Old June 19th, 2019, 5:42 PM
CF Pro Member

Green is what I first tried. Then, I even tried moving it back a four or six inches. That was bearable. I decided that I would try yellow, or experiment with it for "trunk" space. Red is what I just came up with based on current demands. Makes me wish I had an extended van. One of the reasons I was taking my time in setting everything was because I never want to have to get "inside" the van to get something. Just open a door, grab it and go. That was the idea with this body from the start.
Old June 20th, 2019, 12:06 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't know what tools you carry. I'll get a pic of my setup if you're interested. Queen mattress on metal frame with a mobile tool cart that breaks down into separate sections. My tools are mostly of automotive variety. Only thing I can't do is recline or move the driver seat further back. Otherwise, everything fits and doesn't move.
Old June 20th, 2019, 12:51 AM
CF Pro Member

Walls and Ceilings. There are so many things I could carry to do jobs. It all depends on the job, how I am working, at what capacity, etc. Sometimes I wish I had a bigger van, sometimes I wish I had a small pick up again. Too much to list. If I would have done this twenty-five years inside of trapping myself into working for people, I would probably contract a lot more than I do, requiring even more. Really, how I set the van up depends on how I am working. Restoration was the most demanding. I could hit seven jobs a day, bringing insulation, board, finishing compounds right along with really vacuum cleaners and fans. The kicker was, I never knew where I was going. Never knew what I was going to need. It's same way now, but at a much slower, plan-able pace.

Working for people.. I don't know. That's exactly what that is I guess. Working for someone else. I have no idea where my life is going at this point, but I am just happy to boot around and do a little job, do a little job there. No worries. No bills. No stress. No cares.
Old June 20th, 2019, 1:09 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Understood completely. The USofA is now an economy (maybe country even) built on credit. Renting is a scam and trying to own is practically agreeing to pay until you die (not even gonna drag reverse mortgage into this). These are the reasons I'm going into CDL coast to coast. Live in the truck until I retire, wifey right next to me. End game is to build to suit in my little home town, South Hill, Va. (3 traffic lights total)