Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2.8L Durmax vs Vortec 6L V8

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2019, 12:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.8L Durmax vs Vortec 6L V8

I am Looking to purchase 2019 ChevyExpress Van . Which engine do you suggest going with? Do they provide equal power for trailering ? Thanks much

Scott Spearman
Old July 16th, 2019, 9:17 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

DriveTrain1,

I recommend the 6.0L, but I think the answer to your question depends a lot on what you intend to do with your van. Unless you really want a diesel vehicle, I personally don't think the baby-diesel GM is putting in the Express/Savanna is worth it. The improved fuel efficiency from the 2.8L often doesn't overcome the increased cost of diesel fuel, and it's about $3,000+ more expensive than the 6.0L gasser. The tow rating for the 2.8L is significantly lower than the 6.0L, but I don't know how much weight you plan to tow (so maybe the 2.8L is still sufficient for your needs). I've included a link to Chevy's 2019 Trailering Guide, page 15 shows the Express numbers in different configurations. I hope that helps you make an informed decision, and not one based on hear-say and opinions (like mine ).

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...ring-guide.pdf

Last edited by GatorHawk24; July 16th, 2019 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Included engine recommendation that I left out before.
Old July 22nd, 2019, 11:44 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DriveTrain1
I am Looking to purchase 2019 ChevyExpress Van . Which engine do you suggest going with? Do they provide equal power for trailering ? Thanks much

Scott Spearman
6.0 hands down. Last year for that engine..