Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Follow-up: 1989 K3500 FIXED.. now something else is wrong! Electrical?

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2019, 2:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Follow-up: 1989 K3500 FIXED.. now something else is wrong! Electrical?

Hey guys,

Thanks for the support in my recent post (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sho...188#post431188)

This is a continuation of that... because the problem has changed.

If you read that post you'll see that I replaced a TON of parts because the truck suddenly couldn't hold an idle. I replaced the plugs, plug wires, distributor rotor/cap, injectors, TPS sensor/connector, fuel pump, sending unit, fuel filter, fuel delivery lines... which got it running strong!

The dealership ended up being wrong about the fuel pressure and fuel delivery the whole time, and the new fuel delivery parts got her running.

...For about a day. Through the day I felt like the starter was cranking slower and slower, which made me think that the battery was dying. However, this morning she decided to not turn over after cranking. At first I thought the battery was dead, but after hooking a jump box up and testing the battery, I've decided that it can't be that. The starter cranks just fine, but no fire. I can also hear the fuel pump buzzing and pressurizing, so I'm assuming it can't be that, either. The weird thing is that this is a new problem (post fuel delivery parts being replaced by Chevy), so I am torn between whether it is something that Chevy did or whether it is an electrical problem.

I noticed after lifting the hood that the injectors weren't spraying or ticking when the key was turned, which makes me think that there is an issue with the electrical around the ECM and the injectors.

Chevy told me that if I got it towed up there and it was indeed a defective fuel pump, that they would refund me the tow and warranty the repair, but I am worried that this is a new problem and that taking it to Chevy would be a waste of money. I am stumped and don't know how to proceed. I need to get this truck running as it is my primary vehicle, and can't be putting a ton more money into it- it is literally on the side of a road right now. Any help is greatly appreciated! Let me know if you have any questions.
Old July 18th, 2019, 3:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

If throttle body, pour a little fuel in the throat and see if it fires. If it does and there's an ICM in the distributor I would change that next.
The following users liked this post:
justintuah (July 18th, 2019)
Old July 20th, 2019, 3:06 PM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with Redxx - seeing if it fires with fuel in TBI is good idea. I don't think injectors fire just with key on - you have to be cranking.

in previous posts you said
Another thing worth noting is that the truck has some electrical issues. Sometimes the accessories remain on when I turn the truck off (I have to put the key back in, turn it to on, then back off to turn them off). The power windows do not work, and there are some wires hanging around the cigarette lighter areas. Not sure if this could be affecting the engine.

a flakey ignition switch and loose wires is a concern also. Given you said it was cranking slower makes me wonder if you have a short somewhere or other problem in ignition switch. you may want to pull fuses for non-essential stuff like power windows, cig lighter, radio, etc. while you sort out this problem.
Old July 26th, 2019, 11:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Rednucleus @Sabino56

Guys- the ICM was the issue! The truck is running solid now. Thanks a ton for the help. Now that she's running, time to start the "cool" repairs..
Old July 26th, 2019, 6:15 PM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for getting back and letting us know what was the solution. Glad to hear it’s fixed