Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Blew line now wont sift into 3rd

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2019, 8:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Blew line now wont sift into 3rd

1999 Suburban LS 5.7L

Bought the truck in April of this year. On the way home tonight from the the next town over, one of the transmission lines blew. For some reason the PO decided not to use the cooler built into the radiator (which I was told was new) but installed an aftermarket cooler in front of the rad.

He used rubber tubing to go from the stock cooler lines to the trans cooler. One blew a hole in the side. I noticed the truck slowing down when I tried to accelerate from a near stop, Pulled over to the shoulder and stopped. tried to take off and the truck barley moved. Opened the hood and everything is covered with trans fluid

Called a friend who had the time to grab 4 quarts of ATF (correct type for the truck) and some high pressure tubing and we replaced the split hose. The trans took all four quarts to get to the half way mark on the dipstick.

Go to pull away, 1st and 2nd seem fine but no third now, the engine just revs when it should be shifting.

Is there anything to check or try or did the trans just die? The trans has 162,000 miles on it and had been working great.

Thanks,
Bill
Old July 19th, 2019, 6:34 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum. If you haven't already, probably should check the fluid level again after it's been driven and warmed up.
The following users liked this post:
Silverfox103 (July 20th, 2019)
Old July 19th, 2019, 7:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!

I checked it after I got to work and it was warm, plenty of fluid in the trans,

Still no third. Guess its not looking good...
Old July 20th, 2019, 12:23 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

If you ran it on low transmission fluid to the point where it actually started slowing down like that, I'd leaned toward burned up 3rd clutches especially since it just revs. There's not enough fluid to keep the clutch pack pressed tight so the clutches slip against the steels heating them up and wearing off all the material.

That's my take on it. It that's the case, this would at least require a new 3rd clutch pack and a good cleaning of internal parts. However, if you have it opened up, you might as well replace all the clutch packs and any other wear parts in your model transmission.