Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Lower ball joint conundrum

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2019, 7:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower ball joint conundrum

Greetings all.! New to the forums, and looking forward to spending some quality time here. I don't usually have a lot of technical issues, when it comes to repairs, but am having a hell of a time with something here, and was hoping someone else has come across this before.

I have 2007 NBS Silverado 4x4, and it's come time to do some catch up maintenance repairs on it. What's got me scratching my head, is the lower ball joint. I've done many over the years, but haven't run across this set up before. There appears to be some sort of lock ring on the top side of the joint, that's preventing me from pressing it out, but I don't have a clue whether this thing gets spun off, or cut off, or what.

Has anyone seen this before, and have an idea what's required to remove it?

Cheers!

Last edited by seagull; July 21st, 2019 at 7:47 PM. Reason: Mis-spelled word
Old July 21st, 2019, 9:13 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

That's a nut. Standard left turn to remove. Take a wire wheel to the top are where the last thread is and spray with some pb blaster or equivalent to aid in removal. Looks like someone may have replaced it in the past as that's what some aftermarket ball joints look like.

You'll need a ball joint spanner wrench or you can try a big hammer and screwdriver. If that doesn't work, take a grinding wheel to it and pop it off then press out.
Old July 21st, 2019, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

in addition to an interference fit....it looks like its staked to hold it in place. the factory tool used to press it in may have indentations to create the stake on the new ball joint. if you don't want to deal with it...replace the complete control arm.
Old July 21st, 2019, 11:41 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

For reference, here's what they look like new.

Old July 22nd, 2019, 8:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info guys, and the pic of what a new one looks like! That's definitely not something I would have expected to find on a vehicle in this day and age, but looks like I was somewhat on the right thinking path of what it was.

The replacements I have are extreme duty, and only have a spring clip for the top side, which is what was throwing me off, but now knowing for sure what I'm dealing with, depending on my mood the old ones are either going to get cut or torched off!

Cheers!