Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

01 Silverado -- Need Help -- Ignition Switch or BCM?

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2010, 7:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 01 Silverado -- Need Help -- Ignition Switch or BCM?

My 01 Silverado started having some problems about a year ago -- Battery light on -- no 4X4 -- No cruise control -- guages not functioning correctly -- no AC or Heat -- truck would otherwise run fine. I have a tilt steering wheel -- fiddle with the position of the wheel -- everything would work fine.
Then this would not happen again for a while. Well, it just happened again about a week and a half ago and this time all the problems are staying. No more fiddling with the steering wheel. I was told three things..... Could be ignition switch -- could be BCM -- and someone told me today that there is some connection box under the column ($400). I have limited finances. Any idea's? I am leaning toward the ignition switch. How hard would it be to replace this myself? I have the ability - just have never done this before.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2001 Silverado Z71 5.3 with 156K and happy but hot!!
Old June 4th, 2010, 7:31 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Start by pulling the column covers off and looking for any broken wires.
Old January 11th, 2015, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a 2001 silverado and my fuel gauge, my temperature gauge, my heater blower, my shift indicator, and my 4x4 buttons not working. I replaced the ignition lock cylinder about a month ago. Shortly after that everything would flash then it was fine. Now it's completely out. I have checked every fuse in the truck, replaced the relays, checked every ground I could find, and took the gauge cluster apart and checked the solder joints. Any help is appreciated.