Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   '04 2500HD questions (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/04-2500hd-questions-31677/)

rmvand March 27th, 2010 8:14 PM

'04 2500HD questions

:rolleyes: I'm picking up an '04 Silverado 2500HD CC 4x4 6.0L gasser with 50,000 miles on the odo next week. I have a short list of mods I would like to do right off the bat to help performance and get all the mpg's I can for daily driving. I'm wondering if I can get feedback on my list and suggestions on something that I haven't thought of.
1. Programmer 2. Cold air kit 3. Cat back exhaust 4. I'm also looking to do a 2-3 inch lift and some 265/75 16 tires with a semi aggressive tread (just don't like the look of a highway tread on a 4x4 but still want decent mileage if possible) Looking for which brands of all 3 might fit the 6.0 best.
Thanks in advance for the help.

maxxman04 March 27th, 2010 8:24 PM

for programmer:
http://www.blackbearperformance.com/
for cold air intake: k&n
catback: flowmaster
lift: use new torsion keys, easy to install, with blocks out back, although you won't need it for the tire size you mention

nauticstar87 March 27th, 2010 8:27 PM

1. NO PROGRAMMER. Programmers are junk on a gasser. Get a custom tune, I'm going to suggest Blackbear. I have a Blackbear tune and it makes a difference.
2. I run a Volant CAI on mine, again I love it, but I am having issues with it. But thats my own fault. My buddy has a 04 Burban, and loves his Volant.
3. Eh, to each his own, but a true dual would be best. I've had a decent amount of expierience with Flowmaster and love it.
4. BFG All Terrains. They are a good 50,000mile tire at least.
As for the lift I am no help. I'd say crank the T-bars and level it and be done.
I get almost 15mpg with a messed up intake. I will be gettting 15 as soon as I install Electric Fans.

s34n March 27th, 2010 10:36 PM

another upgrade to be would be to get electric fans. more mpgs and more hp. i heard that if you throw blocks out back with a level kit you'll get the same effect as before just higher?

rmvand March 31st, 2010 2:35 PM

Thanks to all for the feedback. I've got a Volant CAI on order and a set of torsion keys and 1" block for the rear on order from Fat Bobs. I'm also thinking of going to 285 tires. From some of what I've read they should fit with the torsion key lift. I've got 265 Firestone Destinations on my current 1/2 ton. They did as good as the Duelers I had previous in winter driving, but I haven't had them long enough to know what kind of miles I'm going to get from them. One question about the Volant CAI is whether or not the air scoop is worth the money? Seems kind of pricey and I would lose one of the tow hooks.

nauticstar87 March 31st, 2010 2:57 PM

Don't get the air scoop, IMO. If you ever have to drive through water that's up to the bumper, you'll suck up water. Theres been plenty of times already jsut driving through downtown that I would have sucked up water if I had that scoop.

gotstylez March 31st, 2010 4:23 PM

wut if u put it somewhere else.. custom do it!.. tho remember about water and dirt and stuff....

nauticstar87 March 31st, 2010 4:58 PM

I don't know bout the classic, but my box is positioned just right IMO. I don't think the lower airscoop makes that much difference.

rmvand April 3rd, 2010 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by nauticstar87 (Post 138358)
1. NO PROGRAMMER. Programmers are junk on a gasser. Get a custom tune, I'm going to suggest Blackbear. I have a Blackbear tune and it makes a difference.
2. I run a Volant CAI on mine, again I love it, but I am having issues with it. But thats my own fault. My buddy has a 04 Burban, and loves his Volant.
3. Eh, to each his own, but a true dual would be best. I've had a decent amount of expierience with Flowmaster and love it.
4. BFG All Terrains. They are a good 50,000mile tire at least.
As for the lift I am no help. I'd say crank the T-bars and level it and be done.
I get almost 15mpg with a messed up intake. I will be gettting 15 as soon as I install Electric Fans.

What's the difference between a tue dual and a cat back? It's already a true dual back to the muffler. I'm looking at having a local muffler shop do the work and they have a bender and can do it any way I want.

rmvand April 3rd, 2010 12:03 PM

The Volant CAI came yesterday and took less than 45 minutes to install. Looks great and I can see where the scoop wouldn't make that much difference.
Another question I have after surfing some of the posts here is changing all the fluids. I know I should do both differentials and the transfer case. I'm wondering about the transmission and if this truck has too many miles to switch it over to synthetic for all of this and the engine oil as well. I'm looking at using Royal Purple for all of it. Everyone probably has their own opinion, but is there any difference between Royal Purple and Amsoil?