Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

04 Silverado 5.3L - Whine, Whine, Whine

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2006, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Silverado 5.3L - Whine, Whine, Whine

[] I have a 2004 Extended Cab Silverado with 14,000 ORIGINAL miles. Whenever the temperature here in Dallas is hot, the engine/ transmission makes this loud (almost irritating whinning sound). The local Chevrolet dealership has looked at it three times now and says everything is fine. But, they went ahead and (supposedly) replaced the fan clutch just to make sure. But the sound is STILL horrible. Sounds like an 18 wheeler taking off in granny gear. The sound is so bad that whenever I pull through my office parking garage everyone turns to look at me. I am ashamed of this vehicle! No other GM vehicle has ever made this sound. My Son has a 2004 GMC Sierra (same engine and everything) and his does not make this whining sound. At first I thought it was stuck in "Tow/Haul" but that has proven not to be the case. I wish I could describe the sound better, but just imagine what a dump truck or concrete truck sounds like whenever it leaves a red light. Sounds like it is stuck in low gear (although it's not). After the engine has warmed up the sound never dissipates or goes away (well inless of course I turn the engine off). It's hard to tell if it is engine, transmission, air conditioner or fan clutch. I am at a total loss as to where the 'Granny" gear sound is coming from. The ironic part is that the dealership here in Dallas acts as though this is normal. My 2002 Avalanche did not sound like this and neither did my 1999 GMC Sierra.

I am so irritated with this and nobody seems to have a clue what it might be. I have noticed that after the vehicle has sat all night, the first few miles in the morning seems fine. But once it warms up - here comes the whine again. When the air conditioner is on it seems to sound louder than when the air conditioner is off, but just a little less.

Can anyone suggest other things the dealership could check. I KNOW this is NOT the way General Motors intended for this vehicle to sound. [] Thanks in advance !
Old June 7th, 2006, 5:56 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 04 Silverado 5.3L - Whine, Whine, Whine

try changing your tranny fluid. also it may be the fluids in the dif. you could try changing those two things and see what happens hope this helps.