Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

04 silverado electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2014, 10:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy 04 silverado electrical problems

hello all, well it seems my troubles with this 04 havent stopped yet, 1st was the door switches which is now fix but now have a much bigger problem, it seems.

1st i had the interstate battery go bad even though it is less then 2 yrs old, which is now replaced. but afterwards the volt gauge seems to be ok at times but then at other times it will read low. like if i turn on the rear window defrost. it will now seem to be a big draw on it but a few months ago it didnt.

also with the truck in gear and stop the volt gauge will drop down from 14.2 to 13.* to 12.4 with or with out the rear defrost on. plus the really odd thing that happen last wk when i let the truck idle for 1/2hr . cause girl friend got stuck in a ditch. went to drive off in truck i look down and the tach is like at 0 before i give it some gas to get going.

but then while driving the tach stayed low rpm like 400 or so and i am at 55mph. which i know is way to low for that speed should be more like 2300 or so. i pull into a lot shut the truck off waited a minute started it back up. tach is ok, some what.

so now i been told that the comp controls the alt far as charging and such, is this true? i am getting to the point that the chevy dealer here aka bocker chevrolet has really sold me a big lemon. since they sold the truck to me with bald tires and the dash not working right.

but that is another topic by it self. other things i have replaced are the door switch assembly on driver side, the head light switch since the dash lights would go funky while driving. found that pushing the dimmer wheel to 1 side or the other made it do that. i know the dash cluster needs to be replaced cause a few items on the dash do not work.plus the truck only gets 10mpg on a good day...

but for right now this tach problem charging problem i need to find out whats could be at the root.
Old February 17th, 2014, 1:00 AM
CF Junior Member

also is there a way or site that i could go to ? to check out to see if this truck has any recalls?
Old February 17th, 2014, 11:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problems exist in the instrument clusters of that vintage truck. The gear reduction motors that run the gauges fail and you will get all kinds of false readings. The cluster can be rebuilt. You need to search in your area for it to be done.
Old February 17th, 2014, 11:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by namu mac
Problems exist in the instrument clusters of that vintage truck. The gear reduction motors that run the gauges fail and you will get all kinds of false readings. The cluster can be rebuilt. You need to search in your area for it to be done.
so the cluster will cause the head lights and such to bog down when im in gear with the rear defrost on? i do know the cluster has a bunch of problems such as the shift indicator doesnt work the left turn indicator doesnt work and the indicator for cruise control is on doesnt work as well.

so if i can get the cluster replaced which cost $255 plus tax here at the chevy dealer here. but i had other thing that are/went bad on this truck since i got it this in july 13.
Old February 19th, 2014, 10:25 PM
CF Junior Member

back to the top, need more info
Old February 22nd, 2014, 5:03 PM
CF Junior Member

anyone know of a web site that could inform me of what if any call backs on my truck are? and also if anyones knows if 1 of the computers in my truck control the alternator output if at all?

i still find it hard to believe that the dash cluster is at fault for this problem i am having well 1 of a few, and thank you for any help
Old March 16th, 2014, 4:58 AM
CF Junior Member

this has fallen back no wonder i havent gotten any help.

still am looking to a fix or more info on this problem i am still having. beside does anyone know if what i have herd is true? that 1 of the computers control the amount of charging the alt does? plus i all so notice that the rpm in gear with the foot on the brake the rpm is like 500rpms i dont think it should be that low and why now is it that low? anyone?